Quick Help

aammoore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a picture that I am trying to print as an 8x10 but the image is too wide and I cannot fit the entire image into an 8x10. How do I fix the image in Photoshop to get the full image onto the print?

You go under image, and image size on the top. the under the dimensions switch it to inches and then set it to 8X10. hope this helps!

I've done that..wouldn't let me change it

I'll bet that the problem is that the aspect ratio of your image, does not match the 8x10 ratio. The standard photo sizes are all different.

In that case, you need to crop the image to the correct ratio. In photoshop, click the crop tool and then at the top of the screen there should be a couple fields where you can set the size/ratio. You can enter 8x10 or choose it from a list of presets.

I'll bet that the problem is that the aspect ratio of your image, does not match the 8x10 ratio. The standard photo sizes are all different.

In that case, you need to crop the image to the correct ratio. In photoshop, click the crop tool and then at the top of the screen there should be a couple fields where you can set the size/ratio. You can enter 8x10 or choose it from a list of presets.

Ya that could also be it. good thinking I didn't even think of that.

how do I upload the image on here...its still not working

Tried the cropping as well the whole image wouldn't fit.

Um yeah..but I can't cut off people..lol

That's why I try to compose shots with some room around the subjects...so that I can crop to different ratios if needed. :er: ;)

if you don't want to crop it you'll need to letterbox it.

If my calculations are correct you will need to add 334 pixels of White space to the top and bottom of the image.

like this
Picture8-1.jpg

Last edited:
There is room....I'm just not good with photoshop. Def. a newb! lol I've got someone helping me out with it..but this is the shot incase youre interested.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4913/christinedaviswedding39xo6.jpg

Print at 8x12 then. That's your camera's native resolution. If you did what the first respondent told you to do and resized it to 8x10, people would end up being squished and distorted. They're look pretty funny and the IQ of the picture would suffer.

There's three things you can do.
1. Print 8x12
2. Crop addition space off the image.
3. Resize the image to what ever the constrained proportions are (6.25x10 maybe?) and add a white or black border on the top and bottom. If I get to it before Battou, my suggestion for this method would be:

1. Resize the original image to have the widest edge at 10"
2. Create a new blank image that's sized 8x10
3. Click and drag the original image from it's frame to the new blank image
4. Center it as needed
5. Print it and request they trim the image to the right size

If you're not using an online printer, take it to some place like Ritz. Their sales staff might some times seem like morons when it comes to selling cameras, but the do quality prints and you can have them trim the picture for you.

Most reactions

Back