Quick opinion on two photos of Death Valley - thanks!

AfroKen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kenleephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For New Year's, my girlfriend and I went to that oh-so-traditional of spots, Death Valley. Here's some photos and text:

Eleven Shadows Travels: Death Valley 2009-2010

But also, I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on these two photos:

-Which one do you like better and why?
-And do the hills in the middle of Photo Two look odd to you?

I'm a bit colorblind, a bit of a curse when trying to nail colors, and so when the bluish tinge of the hills in the back conflicted with the warm sand and the fiery-red sky, I tried to change it so it'd mesh better, taking some Photoshop liberties, which I don't do so much. Anyway, lemme know what you think. Thanks!!!!

459redskydune.jpg

Photo One

redskybushes5.jpg

Photo Two

Not knowing exactly how and how much these were edited makes it difficult for me to pick a favorite; (the images are also a bit small on my monitor.) The hills in the second photo do look odd -- flat and a bit "cut out" -- but overall the pictures are just different and I can't say which one is 'better.' Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Thanks for your feedback.

They're on a website, part of a travel blog, so I didn't make 'em really large. These are a little larger, but still not huge. Hopefully it'll help. I do really appreciate your opinion.

459redskydune.jpg

Photo One

redskybushes.jpg

Photo Two

Thanks!!!!

I am very much drawn to the second one. The tones are very pleasing, the three equal divisions that break "the rules" work amazingly here, the movement in the sky balanced with the movement in the sand, the addition of the trees to break the monotomy of the hills. Need I go on? The photo is still a little small, but it that footprints in the sand?

I am very much drawn to the second one. The tones are very pleasing, the three equal divisions that break "the rules" work amazingly here, the movement in the sky balanced with the movement in the sand, the addition of the trees to break the monotomy of the hills. Need I go on? The photo is still a little small, but it that footprints in the sand?

Does the second one break the "rules" or follow it obnoxiously to a "T"? :D

Anyway, it's fun to mess around with segments, space, everything.

Those are indeed footprints in the sand. And yeah, it's a little small, but it's what I got on the website for now. On the kenleephotography.com website, where it's from, I apparently have a limit of 451 pixels in height for the xml flash thingy to work, so I've configured all the photos for that. I should try and see what happens if I make one larger, just for fun.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback!!!!!!

You're right about the second one so obviously following the rule of thirds. Sorry. When I was looking at it, I was thinking it was so equal, it must be breaking a "rule". Now that I look at it again, even the trees are prefectly balanced. It's still my favorite and one I could actually see hanging on a wall.

I did look at your website. Some very stunning photos there.

Yeah, even the trees are balanced. Just goofin' around with things and having fun. The desert sunset was totally inspiring, so I just tried to have a little fun with it, even obnoxiously following the "rule" of thirds to new heights!! :D

Thanks for your warm comments about my photo website!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back