Quick photoshop question

realitycheck3907

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alright guys everyone has seen the pictures of someone in black and white but the person is holding a flower which is still the original color of the flower. So far I dont know what to call this so I dont know how to find a tutorial for this on the internet. Does anyone have a tutorial or can tell me how to do this. I sure would appreciate this.
Oh yeah this is my first post, looking forward to getting to know you guys. :D

It's called, "Selective colouration". Google "photoshop selective coloration tutorial" and you should get quite a few returns.

tired iron thanks so much. My wife has been looking for this for a while now but we didnt know the name so we couldnt find it. We're just now starting to play with photoshop, as you can tell. So thanks again.

First off, are you starting out with a colored picture or a black and white? I am just starting photography but have been using PS for a while now. No matter what, you're going to have to find a way to select the object you want to color first. I have tried many different ways but the photoshop plug-in called Fluid Mask has worked great for me when making a selection of objects. Here is a sample:

Original in B&W
Zhang05a.jpg

First, I selected my subject. Then, I added a mask of color. I did this both for the skin and lips. If the picture would have been color to begin with, I would have had an easier time just B&Wing the background. It was a pain to find the correct color of skin and lips that I wanted but it was fun. This technique also works on changing eye color. Hope this helped.

Yup, the key is in masking. I haven't done a lot of this, but with careful masking and a color picture to start, it's really quite easy. The advantage of masks is that they are nondestructive. This is a pretty good primer on layer masks in Photoshop: Lunacore Photoshop Training - Layer Masks tutorial (part 1/3)

My only example so far (done over six months ago, when I was still learning Photoshop. Err, I'm still learning, but you get the idea.), nothing like the above superb example, but I thought I'd post it anyway:

Rose2-small.jpg

It's called Selective Color or Colorizing.

Here's my illustrated, step-by-step tutorial on it:
http://www.jimsdigitaldiary.com/colorizing.html

There are several other ways to do something similar. But the key to doing it well involves two things (technically): 1. Clean and accurate selection, and 2. a basic understanding of layers.

Have fun with it. And if you'd like to see a whole series of images I've done using the flowers and border idea I showed in the tutorial, check out my "Escapes" page at: http://www.cafepress.com/jimmcdadephoto

Most reactions

New Topics

Back