Quick question about a lighting setup

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not at my studio right now so i cant test this out. Anyways i have 2 AB800s and a speedlight. My speedlight does not work off camera without a trigger and my speedlight trigger isnt working. I have a Cyber sync trigger for my AB's so would the the speedlight work off-camera from the flash of the AB? Or Would i need to buy another remote/trigger for my speedlight?

Yes/no/maybe. It depends on the speedlight. Some have built-in optical triggers, manufacturer's flashes (Nikon, Canon, etc) have wireless connectivity capability (via IR).

Put the trigger on you speedlight and the AB's slave sensor should see the flash and fire
Bingo!

If your Speedlight has a sync socket, then you just attach a cord from the receiver to the flash. If it doesn't, then you just need one of THESE.

I'm not at my studio right now so i cant test this out.
I don't mean to offend (which usually means that 9 out of 10 times it will), but wouldn't the clever thing to do is to have waited until you were at your studio, with manuals in hand, and try to figure this out while everything of importance is right in front of you? This is your gear that you should really become familiar with on a day-to-day basis. If you then can't figure out what needs to be done, you can come back and ask with a more specific question. You'll be able to tells us that you have tried ABC & XYZ. TBH, the information is most likely to be found in your manuals. I'm not tring to be critical.

I don't mean to offend (which usually means that 9 out of 10 times it will), but wouldn't the clever thing to do is to have waited until you were at your studio, with manuals in hand, and try to figure this out while everything of importance is right in front of you? This is your gear that you should really become familiar with on a day-to-day basis. If you then can't figure out what needs to be done, you can come back and ask with a more specific question. You'll be able to tells us that you have tried ABC & XYZ. TBH, the information is most likely to be found in your manuals. I'm not tring to be critical.

You should know by now that Sabrina's mind does not work like that :lol:

What does it matter? If you don't like the question don't respond. I am familiar with my equipment and I just asked a SIMPLE question if my SB600 will work off camera being triggered by the flash of my AB's. I already stated that I usually used a trigger for the speedlight, but its broken.

Yeah... god forbid if I try to make life a little easier on myself to ask the question here instead of traveling 30mins with a sick toddler to my studio. Don't you have ANYTHING better to do?

What does it matter? If you don't like the question don't respond. I am familiar with my equipment and I just asked a SIMPLE question if my SB600 will work off camera being triggered by the flash of my AB's. I already stated that I usually used a trigger for the speedlight, but its broken.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the matter. Your response was exactly as expected and was blind to the light in which it was intended. Your little quip helps solidify, at least in my mind, that you really don’t want to take ownership, much less responsibility, of your business. I think most conscientious photographers (in business or not) would have asked and received answers to your type of question before additional lights were added to your system, as in the planning / preparation stage, to know and fully understand any compatibility issues that may occur with your existing equipment. If there were more gadgets required to accomplish your goals, this would be researched and discussed thoroughly prior to any purchase.

The fact that you asked a SIMPLE question tells me two things. You are NOT familiar with your equipment and you have NOT digested the contents of your user manuals. If you were familiar with your equipment or were familiar with your user manual, you would have been able to quickly scour the index and found under Remote, referenced on page 56 of the overview of multiple flash operation, another reference to page 60 for Advanced Wireless Lighting, which in turn references page 52. This is how you glean the information that Nikon has provided to you so that you can become familiar with your equipment. If the answers are not found on those pages, try another search avenue in the index or table of content, but chances are those pages will likely come into play again.

Okay, so now you are more familiar with the operation of your flash in Remote mode. The question now is will your existing AB trigger work on your speedlight. Did you try contacting PCB? Their customer service has always been helpful whenever I’ve called with questions regarding their equipment in conjunction with my present gear and my intended future use. I would think this to be the first port of call to help resolve your questions.

Yeah... god forbid if I try to make life a little easier on myself to ask the question here instead of traveling 30mins with a sick toddler to my studio.
Yep, god forbid someone else doesn’t make your life easier by doing your work for you. We don’t know and I don’t care what your logistical issues are, don’t care if your toddler is blowing snot all over the front of your new blouse. Don’t really care if your flash works or not. That's your life. Everybody else's life is just as complicated, just with a different set of circumstances. Somehow, someway a few of us seem to get on with it all the same.

So at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter. Thanks for the heads-up on how you will be assisted by me in the future.

Yeah... god forbid if I try to make life a little easier on myself to ask the question here instead of traveling 30mins with a sick toddler to my studio. Don't you have ANYTHING better to do?

I told you how to do it, just proves you know **** all about working in a studio and are not fully equiped

but the ab triggers might not be able to connect to the sb600. One is a hotshoe style mount the other my be a sync cord style. So its not really that simple. To answer your question the sb600 does not have an optical trigger unless you buy one. It is not built in.

but the ab triggers might not be able to connect to the sb600. One is a hotshoe style mount the other my be a sync cord style. So its not really that simple. To answer your question the sb600 does not have an optical trigger unless you buy one. It is not built in.

All you need is a cheap adapter

3 LIGHTS ? GET 3 TRIGGERS. stop screwing around with un-reliable optical triggers. If your model put her ass in front of the optical triggers well guess what, it wont fire.

i got 8 flash, i got 8 flash triggers, you never know when you will need to add another light to your setup.

and you dont have to spend a **** tons of money on pocket wizzards, cheap triggers work fine. at least they work.

Most reactions

Back