Quick Question about my D40

Kleetz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm wondering if the D40 has a bracketing option. Or some kind of option where I an take three pictures with three different exposures?

Let me know guys, Thank You!

dpreview.com says it doesn't

you could always do it the old fashioned way.. *snap* (change exposure/aperture manually) *snap* (change exposure/aperture manually) *snap*

No bracketing.

Nope, it doesn't have Auto Exposure Bracketing, if that's what you mean. Of course, you can get just as good a shot if you do it manually, it might just take 20 seconds instead of 15.

*snap* (change exposure/aperture manually) *snap* (change exposure/aperture manually) *snap*

though this is the right idea; when bracketing, you should never change aperture because when you stack the photos things that are in focus vary from image to image.. Always use the shutter speed to adjust your exposure when bracketing

though this is the right idea; when bracketing, you should never change aperture because when you stack the photos things that are in focus vary from image to image.. Always use the shutter speed to adjust your exposure when bracketing

good point.. i didn't think about that. I don't use bracketing much.. (hardly ever)

I have bracketing on my D80, and the only one I actually use is white balance. If you have enough time to take three pictures of the same thing you usually have time to click the thumb wheel 1 click left and then back 2 clicks right. Might be a little tricky on the 40 since there is only one wheel and I think you can set it to a few different things. And you obviously have to shoot M or A mode instead of auto to get that to work.

Don't even get me started on using the cheater modes with dSLRS. :wink:

That's definitely the case for exposure bracketing, but aperture bracketing is sometimes useful in its own right.

No need for bracketing. With instant image review, RGB histogram displays, highlight displays, and the ability to delete stuff, or adjust white balance right on the camera after the fact, I think bracketing modes are a waste of time. It was considered a crutch even back in the film days, and there's even less excuse to use it now, not even considering the zillions of easy to use post-processing tools for your images. Just my $0.02.

Well that's a special purpose. You can still do HDR with a tripod, which is probably a pretty good idea anyways. The OP never mentioned HDR or not, but in general I think you're much better off learning proper exposure techniques in the first place rather than messing around with bracketing.

Most reactions

Back