Quick question on lighting equipment.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking at getting 2 of these: Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-560 Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon: Camera & Photo because they are inexpensive and well reviewed. I think they will work wirelessly with my D90 but only in manual mode. Is that correct?

Do I also need to get one of these: Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04, 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver: Camera & Photo in order for them to work wirelessly with my D90?

If they work on their own with the D90, why do I need the Cowboy receiver?

Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't see that they have a built-in slave trigger...so the only way to trigger them with only your D90, would be to put it on the hot shoe or connect to it with a wire, via the PC port.

A set of radio triggers would do the trick.

I don't have first hand knowledge of the Cowboy stuff, but I've heard some negative comments.
Maybe look at THIS. Don't forget that if you are getting two flashes, you will want to get an extra receiver.

If you want a better flash trigger system, I'd recommend the basic (CST & CSRB) Cyber Sync triggers from HERE.

I second Mike's recommendation for the Cybersync's. I really like mine.

It says in the ad under "Advanced Application" that the YN-560 has - 7. Reflection Flash (Engrish for optical slave triggering?)

So as long as you have line-of-sight from the YN-560 sensor to your D90 pop up, or a shoe mounted flash you don't need the radio trigger.

With the radio trigger setup (all brands) the radio transmitter/transceiver goes on the camera hot shoe. Each light then needs a receiver/transceiver.

The advantage of radio transmitters is they are not limited to line-of-sight.

Another happy customer with the Cybersyncs.

One thing to note. If you ever want to use a Cybersync receiver on a mono light, you'll need the CSRB+.

I own two of these, they do have an built in optical trigger and manual mode is the only mode whether on or of camera.

You can trigger them with the built in flash but sometimes the pre-flashes triggers as well, therefore I'd suggest you buy a radio trigger.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back