Quick Question (Which is the correct exposure?)

True_Shot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It seems I can't tell when my pictures are properly exposed... help appreciated :) Which one is correct? (Or most correct? lol)

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

Learn to read the histogram....there is always room for interpretation but for the most part it will be right.
When processing your photos keep your histogram open and use it for a guide...it will keep you close.

.....oops sparky beat me to it...what he said.

Learn to read the histogram....there is always room for interpretation but for the most part it will be right.
When processing your photos keep your histogram open and use it for a guide...it will keep you close.

.....oops sparky beat me to it...what he said.
Yes with all the nice spikes and stuff... just looking for a quick answer to a quick question :p

Both histos appear to show a 'correct' exposure, meaning all the pixels are above 0 and below 255. This is a case where both are technically correct, so it's up to the taker to decide which one is better.

Since the second one gets awful close to the left side of the histo, it appears darker. And it appears dark overall to me. So I say #1 is the proper exposure.

Good or proper exposure can be subjective.

The usual goal is to make an image that preserves detail (however subtle) in both the highlights and shadow. I think your first sample comes closer.

-Pete

Both histos appear to show a 'correct' exposure, meaning all the pixels are above 0 and below 255. This is a case where both are technically correct, so it's up to the taker to decide which one is better.

Since the second one gets awful close to the left side of the histo, it appears darker. And it appears dark overall to me. So I say #1 is the proper exposure.
Good or proper exposure can be subjective.

The usual goal is to make an image that preserves detail (however subtle) in both the highlights and shadow. I think your first sample comes closer.

-Pete
Thank you for your feedback ;D

Also my histograms are for these two images have a severe spike in between the light and dark... what does that mean? I assumed it meant it was properly exposed, but it does not resemble the bell curve...

The first picture's histogram seems to suggest it was over exposed

... but it does not resemble the bell curve...

The first picture's histogram seems to suggest it was over exposed

to me the first is better. Anyway, you find the bell curve only in some case, it is not the norm for a picture. It depends on what is depicted.

correct exposure is somewhat of a subjective term. Either of the pics looks okay. I agree that one is a bit nicer.

My understanding is that a spike just means there are a lot of pixels of that exact shade/colour (depending if you're using colour or black/white). This may be incorrect, so if I'm wrong please correct me someone (I'd hate to be sharing misinformation)! I'm still just learning about histograms too.

My understanding is that a spike just means there are a lot of pixels of that exact shade/colour (depending if you're using colour or black/white). This may be incorrect, so if I'm wrong please correct me someone (I'd hate to be sharing misinformation)! I'm still just learning about histograms too.

Yes, a spike simply means there a lot of pixels at that particular level of brightness.

What you need to avoid is a spike at either end of the histo. That mans you have either totally black shadows or blown-out highlights and no data can be recovered from those areas.

In your case the sky area is very uniform and wide and so gives a spike.

Most reactions

Back