Quick strobe trigger question(s).

Irishwake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay I'm gonna sound like a noob no matter how I word this so here goes. I'm about to order some studio strobes and I need a way to trigger them from my D90. I'm getting the AlienBees B800's and I want to trigger them wirelessly. I can only assume I have to buy a hotshoe mounted wireless trigger + a receiver for each strobe?

I also want to use the flash from the AlienBees to trigger my SB-700 which will either be a hairlight or background light, depending on the shoot. Will this work without the popup flash on my D90 being up? Or can I just use the hotshoe transmitter to trigger my SB-700?

Thanks!

There are a host of wireless triggers available. They fall into two categories, either optical or RF (radio). Your best bet will be to get an RF trigger (ranging from the gold-standard Pocket Wizard at $250/unit to the Cactus Trigger for as little as $20/unit) for whichever light is going to be your key (main) light and use the ABs built-in optical slave for to trigger the remainder of your ABs. Depending on positioning, you will need either another RF receiver for the hair-light, or a hot-shoe mounted optical trigger.

Okay so, hot shoe mounted RF xmit from camera to key light, key light optically triggers other AB and SB-700 provided they have LOS. That will at least save me the money for one RF receiver, although all things considered, not much.

Thanks for answering my question!

you should get a radio reveiver for the sb-700. Optical triggers works but can also be a pain when there is something blocking the light from going to the sensor. I use sb-600s and vivitar 285HV in studio and i fire them with radio triggers. most optical triggers are cheap and misfire.

I'm assuming you were at the PCB website at some time to check out the AB800. Right there is a link to the CyberSync. I use them for my Nikon SB flashes and White Lightning strobes. They have yet to fail.

But they are more expensive than the cactus triggers too are they not? I think you can get a cactus set for 60$ that includes a receiver and transmitter while the Cybersync is 60 dollars just for transmitter.

I do know however that cybersyncs have better range.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back