Quit smoking, started vaping, feel a lot better.

I have never smoked, but i do think that people who cannot quit or just don't want to should try vaping over normal cigarettes it`s got to be better for you, but i do think the equipment and liquids need regulation for safety sake as some people dont know what they are smoking from the bargain basement end of the market as china is not know for it`s safety regulations.

John.

I don't mind vaping since its infinitely more pleasant than cigarettes, however, I think some people think that just because it's not cigarette smoke, it's fine to do basically everywhere.

There was a guy I sat next to very briefly in a college class that would freakin vape while the professor had his back turned. If someone wants to vape in relaxed company that's fine, but a classroom is a captive audience that probably doesn't want to take notes through a fog of scented vapor.

I'd much rather hang around people who vape than people who smoke, though. At least if one of my friends is vaping at a bar or at a party my first thought isn't "Where can I sit/stand to best avoid the brunt of that all night" like with cigarettes.

And compared to the effects of smoking, I've heard from people that their health does improve after going off cigs and vaping instead.

Congrats on quitting.

I agree Dave. I still go outside, unless I'm in my apartment by myself. I wouldn't vape indoors unless whoever I was with was OK with it. But I would rather know that first thing because my aim is not to piss anyone off. I'm surprised the school even let that fly.

I don't smoke, and most of my immediate family don't either, partly due to the example of my father-in-law who loved to smoke, and paid for it with his life. Combustion products (whether in smoke or in high-temperature cooking) are usually carcinogenic because of the formation of benzine (and similar aromatics) rings which interact with DNA and contribute to transcription errors. So anything that reduces the harm caused by smoke it generally a good thing. I know of some people who are vaping, and they seem to be quite happy with both the experience and the perceived relative safety. There is a move in a number of jurisdictions to regulate e-cigarettes and vaping products as tobacco products. Part of the concern is the interaction of the oils and glycols with the mucosa - the long term effects are not yet known. It may turn out to be a non-issue, or it may show effects that are currently not anticipated. I suspect that the relative safety will also depend on whatever additives may be added to the liquid, and keeping track of which one cause problems and which ones are safe will be quite difficult.

In some ways this is similar to the medical marijuana issue, where while the anecdotal evidence is pretty compelling, the science-based testing is lagging partly due to the lack of standardized delivery mechanisms, doses and purity. It is difficult to organize a truly double-blind testing regime unless one can get ingredients of known purity, potency and dosage (and placebo products that give the same experience without the active ingredient). And yet, that testing is what is needed to put THC in the same class as other regulated medicines.

@o hey tyler : Don't mean to hijack your thread, but discussions of the "cons" of vaping are not based on much evidence, so much better information is needed before we can say if vaping is truly an improvement over smoking or not. At least from my perspective, it's a better way than smoking, but then, there's also much that is currently not known.

Well my story is as follows . My wife got me a Vape thing , forgot what brand , and two years ago . I was very skeptical at first since I was a longtime smoker and figured this was just another gimmick . My wife , being the persistent lady that she is , bugged my to death so I stared to use it , to shut her mainly , LOL.

From the day I picked that thing up I never had another cigarette . About after 1 year of vaping , I was already on the 0 nicotine level , I left my vaporizer on a friends boat . Now I debated going to buy another vaporizer ( 75 bucks ) or heck just forget it since I was at 0 nicotine anyhow . I chose the latter and am happy to report that I just had my 2 year anniversary of being smoke free .

I know some will poo poo this vapor thing as a fad , or dangerous or any number of other things people seen to come up with nowadays , but at least for me this was literally a life saver and a game changer . Enjoy your vape !!!

I don't smoke, and most of my immediate family don't either, partly due to the example of my father-in-law who loved to smoke, and paid for it with his life. Combustion products (whether in smoke or in high-temperature cooking) are usually carcinogenic because of the formation of benzine (and similar aromatics) rings which interact with DNA and contribute to transcription errors. So anything that reduces the harm caused by smoke it generally a good thing. I know of some people who are vaping, and they seem to be quite happy with both the experience and the perceived relative safety. There is a move in a number of jurisdictions to regulate e-cigarettes and vaping products as tobacco products. Part of the concern is the interaction of the oils and glycols with the mucosa - the long term effects are not yet known. It may turn out to be a non-issue, or it may show effects that are currently not anticipated. I suspect that the relative safety will also depend on whatever additives may be added to the liquid, and keeping track of which one cause problems and which ones are safe will be quite difficult.

In some ways this is similar to the medical marijuana issue, where while the anecdotal evidence is pretty compelling, the science-based testing is lagging partly due to the lack of standardized delivery mechanisms, doses and purity. It is difficult to organize a truly double-blind testing regime unless one can get ingredients of known purity, potency and dosage (and placebo products that give the same experience without the active ingredient). And yet, that testing is what is needed to put THC in the same class as other regulated medicines.

@o hey tyler : Don't mean to hijack your thread, but discussions of the "cons" of vaping are not based on much evidence, so much better information is needed before we can say if vaping is truly an improvement over smoking or not. At least from my perspective, it's a better way than smoking, but then, there's also much that is currently not known.

No need to apologize. When you have something to say, you say it well. I always appreciate your mindset and insight.

Good on you Tyler!

I've been vaping for about a year, started with e-gos and Kanger T2s, moved on to Evods then a protank and an MPV then I found mech mods and got a Fogger V4.2 and a Stingray mod (clone). At the moment I'm vaping with a Kato Mod (clone) with a Fogger V4.3 and Sony VTC5s which are 30a high drain batteries. My nomal coils are about 0.7-0.9 ohms. Went through a few liquids: Kingslayer, Sqid Ink, Accies Rhubarb and Custard, Mrs Lords Vanilla Sandwich, Minion Farts etc. Mostly settled on mixing my own e-liquid from Flavourart's Black Pearl with a wee bit of Strawberry and Watermelon added. Love my custards but they gunk up the coils and make me wheeze so I'm back on the fruits.

I've thought about picking up an e-cig. I tried them when they first came out and they tasted foul and chemically to me (oh the irony, I complain they taste "chemmy" and I smoke literal cancer sticks). I smoke about a pack a day now, sometimes more if I'm driving and shooting all day/night. I've smoked for about 10 years and I just feel like garbage pretty often, obviously after a night photographing the milky way and I smoke like a pack, and doing more hiking and stuff I really notice how bad I feel.

Not only do I smell like gross cigs from smoking already, but also if I'm out shooting I "field-strip" the cigs and put the butts in my pocket as not to litter....so my clothes end up smelling heinous. I got sober a little over 2 years ago now, so quitting smoking was NOT an option for a while, but lately I've been thinking more about it. My buddy bought one of the e-cigs a few weeks ago in an attempt to eventually quit completely, and I tried it out and it wasn't too bad...didn't taste weird or anything. I don't really want to get into one of the crazy vape set-ups as honestly I feel like it looks douche-y (maybe that's just all the hipsters in my area I see blowing giant cumulonimbus clouds of vapor everywhere).

Every time I think about quitting smoking I get all anxious, so maybe the e-cig will help. Since getting sober it's definitely coffee+cigs all day...tough to quit

One of the biggest things is finding an e-liquid you like and can be used as an all day vape mate. Not all liquids are equal and some are a lot better than others.

I've thought about picking up an e-cig. I tried them when they first came out and they tasted foul and chemically to me (oh the irony, I complain they taste "chemmy" and I smoke literal cancer sticks). I smoke about a pack a day now, sometimes more if I'm driving and shooting all day/night. I've smoked for about 10 years and I just feel like garbage pretty often, obviously after a night photographing the milky way and I smoke like a pack, and doing more hiking and stuff I really notice how bad I feel.

Not only do I smell like gross cigs from smoking already, but also if I'm out shooting I "field-strip" the cigs and put the butts in my pocket as not to litter....so my clothes end up smelling heinous. I got sober a little over 2 years ago now, so quitting smoking was NOT an option for a while, but lately I've been thinking more about it. My buddy bought one of the e-cigs a few weeks ago in an attempt to eventually quit completely, and I tried it out and it wasn't too bad...didn't taste weird or anything. I don't really want to get into one of the crazy vape set-ups as honestly I feel like it looks douche-y (maybe that's just all the hipsters in my area I see blowing giant cumulonimbus clouds of vapor everywhere).

Every time I think about quitting smoking I get all anxious, so maybe the e-cig will help. Since getting sober it's definitely coffee+cigs all day...tough to quit

Kangertech Starter kit KangerTech

You may want to try out something fairly simple like this if it interests you. Not a major investment as far as price point is concerned. I'm sure if Pete knows of a better route to take with a starter kit he will chime in. I just have used Kanger and know they make a good product.

I had the same feelings about Cigs. I hated smelling like them especially when I went back into work and had to facilitate training for new hires. Felt like I was imposing due to the cigarette smell. Now I don't have to worry about that at all.

One of the biggest things is finding an e-liquid you like and can be used as an all day vape mate. Not all liquids are equal and some are a lot better than others.

Would you mind posting a photo of your setup? I'm always interested in other peoples rigs!

I don't mind vaping since its infinitely more pleasant than cigarettes, however, I think some people think that just because it's not cigarette smoke, it's fine to do basically everywhere.

There was a guy I sat next to very briefly in a college class that would freakin vape while the professor had his back turned. If someone wants to vape in relaxed company that's fine, but a classroom is a captive audience that probably doesn't want to take notes through a fog of scented vapor.

I'd much rather hang around people who vape than people who smoke, though. At least if one of my friends is vaping at a bar or at a party my first thought isn't "Where can I sit/stand to best avoid the brunt of that all night" like with cigarettes.

And compared to the effects of smoking, I've heard from people that their health does improve after going off cigs and vaping instead.

Congrats on quitting.

I agree Dave. I still go outside, unless I'm in my apartment by myself. I wouldn't vape indoors unless whoever I was with was OK with it. But I would rather know that first thing because my aim is not to piss anyone off. I'm surprised the school even let that fly.

Well, to be honest, the professor was one semester from retirement meaning he was at the "I don't care" point. Universities in general are also behind on legislating vaping since its popularity is still somewhat new. There are a few universities that have begun to treat it more like smoking, though.

Is the vape thing just for enjoyment, or used as a means to quitting smoking? Or both? Forgive my ignorance, this stuff came out long after I quit smoking 13 years ago. Which, of course, was the hardest thing I've "ever" had to do in my entire life! I smoked 2 packs a day for 30 years, and used the patches, M&M's and toothpicks to quit.

Is the vape thing just for enjoyment, or used as a means to quitting smoking? Or both? Forgive my ignorance, this stuff came out long after I quit smoking 13 years ago. Which, of course, was the hardest thing I've "ever" had to do in my entire life! I smoked 2 packs a day for 30 years, and used the patches, M&M's and toothpicks to quit.

I do enjoy it. I mean, I have already considerably cut back my nicotine intake. From what used to be 2 packs of american spirits a week. Not heavy, I know. But still.

I used it as a tool to quit. And, for me at least, worked perfectly. Did I enjoy it? Can't say either way, my mind was set on quitting, which imho is the #1 thing here.

Most reactions

Back