The Vaping Thread

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know there was a thread on the subject a year ago, but that was then and this is now.

Any vapers out there? Let's see your rig! Tell us about it, what your go to liquid is, and why you decided to start vaping!

Here's mine... (below). I started vaping about a year ago to quit smoking... and although I do have a cancer nail every now and again, I'm down to about a pack a month and the rest of the time I vape.

I started on your typical gas station e-cigs, but immediately realized that wasn't satisfying enough. I have since gone to the sub-ohm tanks and high drain mods that offer very satisfying voluminous billowing clouds of vapor and tons of flavor.

Currently I'm running a Sigelei 75w mod with a Aspire Cleito tank sporting the .4 ohm coil. My go to liquids are made locally from two different manufactures (both available online if anyone is interested). Simply Vapor is the first company, and I get their "Orange Dream" (creamsicle), "Island Punch" (Hawaiian Punch), "Smarty Pants" (Smarties candy) and "Smooth Bourbon Coconut". For the other Manufacturer, it's 503 liquid, and I get "Phoenix" (anisette and Cinnamon) and "Black Sun" which is almost spot on to a fresh cup of Cold Press coffee. In all of these, I'm usually in the 6mg of nicotine range.

aspire.jpg

Last edited:
I quit smoking about a year ago after getting a tooth pulled and started vaping, think I've smoked one cigarette since. I was smoking at least a pack a day (sometimes two packs if I went out all night shooting), but it was really holding me back trying to hike and whatnot. I honestly really hate the whole vape culture but I love not smoking, I feel way healthier and now I can actually hike without stopping every five minutes.

I'm using a iPV D3 80w mod and I just bought that cleito tank like two weeks ago after my old tank started leaking everywhere. I have the .2 in right now but I prefer using the .4 as I get longer battery life. I switch up juices pretty often, otherwise I get too used to each flavor. In the rotation now I have some green jolly rancher (forget the brand), this newer juice called Tallahasee, Thai boba tea, and some cannoli flavored stuff, all in 3mg.

I just bought that cleito tank like two weeks ago after my old tank started leaking everywhere.

What tank were you using? Just curious. I still use one of the Kangertech Sub Minis, but I prefer this Cleito.

I agree, the "culture" can be a bit off-putting. I'm more in it for the whole "not stinking like a fresh ashtray" experience. :D

I had the Atlantis aspire II. I dropped it quite a few times and I think I broke one of the internal seals because juice was leaking into parts of the coil it wasn't supposed to, and I was going through coils every like 3 days. I'd open up my tank after a few days and it would be just loaded with burnt resin type stuff, and it obviously tasted horrible. I like the cleito a lot, the flavor with this tank is amazing, but I wish it held a little more juice because I have to fill it pretty often.

I wish it held a little more juice because I have to fill it pretty often.

At least it's less of a PITA, being a top fill tank and all. Small consolation, I know... but still.

Oh I love the top fill. I'm always on long drives for photo missions and I bought a few of those plastic bottles with the small tip that you just squeeze to squirt the juice out, I'll switch any juice I buy over to those so when I'm driving it's super easy to refill my tank. I used to hate having to pull over so I could play mad scientist just to refill my tank haha

Nah. My heaviest smoking was half a pack a day, and that was 10 years ago. I'm too far away from it to be bothered with vaping, which also seems way too complicated! Sometimes I still miss it - cigarettes with a quiet afternoon coffee or late-night writing sessions - but I'm also the kind of person who could have a cigarette with a cup of coffee today and then not think about it for another 6 months or a year. I don't get sucked back into it. (And even though I could do that, I never do - it's been years since the last time a craving hit me hard enough to actually act on it.) I was never a "smoker" but rather "someone who smoked." I suppose an e-cigarette now and again would satisfy that, but if it's that rare of an occasion, I might as well go for the real thing ;)

The smell of vape always reminds me of the nargile cafes in Istanbul. I definitely miss hanging with friends, sharing the nargile (hookah). The standard was apple tobacco.

It seems very expensive and confusing.

It seems very expensive and confusing.

Initial investment yes, and if you go really far down the "vape culture" rabbit hole it gets confusing.

My setup costs are as follows...

Battery mod (silver box thingy that supplies power) - $90

Tank - (glass doohickey that holds liquid) - $30

30ml bottle of designer liquid - $22 (lasts about 2-3 weeks)

30ml bottle of generic liquid from online vendor - $8 (also lasts about 2-3 weeks)

Replacement coils (part that turns liquid into vapor) - $4 (lasts 2-3 weeks)

So, after first month, worst case scenario, I'm into it about $172. Every subsequent month my expense is approximately $52

Smoking 1 pack a day, costs are about $240 +/- depending on where you live, so the "expense" argument doesn't hold much water.

I agree that there is a bit of a learning curve to using the "equipment", but after you understand how it works (and it's far easier then it appears) it's really quite simple. All in all, if you can work basic functions on a DSLR, you will have no problem with this hardware.

To be fair, I don't see vaping as something someone just decides to "get in to" if they aren't current cigarette smokers. I see it as a far healthier alternative for people who are not ready to quit smoking. After my first week of vaping and no cigarettes my persistent cough was gone, my food tasted better, and I could tackle 2 flights of stairs without passing out. I call that a victory.

Last edited:
And not a great thing to replace one bad thing with another.
Its like quitting drinking in favor of sub cutaneous alcohol injections.
If you don't want to smoke, don't smoke. Don't complicate things further.
When I decided I was done smoking, I cleaned the houses and cars and went on a vacation to occupy my mind and haven't smoked in 14 years.
The liquid nicotine is extremely toxic.

Good for you.

Anyone else care to share their positive experience with vaping rather than stand on a pedestal and be condescending?

A 30ml bottle lasts you 2-3 weeks?! I'm lucky if one lasts me 4 days haha

A 30ml bottle lasts you 2-3 weeks?! I'm lucky if one lasts me 4 days haha

Yeah, I usually top off the tank every 2 days. Not much of a chain vaper, and most of the day I'm in a smoke free environment...

That's also assuming a .5 ohm tank though, I may go through a bit more with the new .4 ohm setup. Time will tell.

The wife and I are still trying to get the father-in-law to try vaping.

His current daily setup is 4 packs of Marlboro Red.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back