Radnor Lake - Nashville

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've posted numerous photographs of birds I've taken at Radnor Lake, and even those are a tiny fraction of the thousands of photographs I've taken there, but I seldom actually take photos of the lake itself. I have a few, but really not that many. I decided that this morning I'd focus on the lake itself since it is a really pretty spot. IT really felt funny walking around with just my D7000 and a 17-70 lens as opposed to my D7100 and a 150-500 lens!

As can be seen the lake is in a valley surrounded by hills so the sun is late coming up and early going down. These were taken between 6:15 and 7:20 this morning, and in the first two the sun wasn't over the hills yet. There is a trail through the woods on the far side of the lake but good views of the lake are few and far between from it. These were all taken on the south side of the lake where there is a (mostly) paved road that used to be a county road until it was closed. Now motorized traffic is prohibited and it's all pedestrian and bicycle traffic.

The lake is about 3/4 mile long and maybe half as wide. The fog visible over the hills is there most mornings and is what gives the Smoky Mountains in east Tennessee their name.

Radnor Lake #1
2014-05-31-05.jpg

Radnor Lake #2
2014-05-31-06.jpg

Radnor Lake #3
2014-05-31-07.jpg

Radnor Lake #4
2014-05-31-01.jpg

Radnor Lake #5
2014-05-31-02.jpg

Radnor Lake #6
2014-05-31-03.jpg

Radnor Lake #7
2014-05-31-04.jpg

Yes very beautiful, do you ever camp out there?

Beautiful lake, beautiful photos.

Thanks. It is one of the places I frequent a lot. Lots of waterfowl most of the year, although it's a bit bare right now, as well as deer and other wildlife.

Yes very beautiful, do you ever camp out there?
Not allowed!! This place has more rules than any other state park I've ever seen. Virtually ANYTHING that one would normally do at a state park is against the rules here. No fishing, no hunting, no swimming, no boating, no jogging or running on the trails (hard-surface road only!), no bicycles on the trails (hard-surface road only!), no pets on the trails, no musical instruments, no weddings (yeah, that really is on the list), no food or picnicking, do NOT get off the designated trails, collection of any plants, rocks, or mushrooms is prohibited, entire area closes at dark and vehicles will be towed. Basically one can walk around (but try not to breathe too much), and take photos (quietly, please, so the wildlife isn't disturbed), and that's about it.

Very Purdy. The reflections are awesome.

Very Purdy. The reflections are awesome.

I like the reflections too. I particularly like #1 and #4. All of them are pretty.

Thanks, guys. Yeah, the reflections were part of the reason I decided to travel light yesterday ;) I stopped for breakfast before going to the lake and noticed the wispy clouds right at dawn and figured they would be pretty over the lake. Note that it's a decision that needs to be made beforehand since it's a quarter mile from the parking area to the lake itself.

Yes great reflections Scott. Looks like a place I could happily shot at. Beautiful scenery and location.

All the best Scott, that would suit me nicely :)

Danny.

Yes great reflections Scott. Looks like a place I could happily shot at. Beautiful scenery and location.

All the best Scott, that would suit me nicely :)

Danny.
Thanks, Danny. I like to get there right at dawn and watch the sun come over the hills. That time of day it's normally a quiet and peaceful spot surrounded by Nashville noise and clutter.

Great shots
I need to take time from my bird photography and some like yours

Great shots
I need to take time from my bird photography and some like yours

Thanks, and I do understand. I have to force myself to focus on something else from time to time. It's easy to get in the rut of shooting the same time all the time and it's refreshing to do something else. As I mentioned in the first post, it really felt odd to have just a camera and 17-70 lens as opposed to camera, 150-500 lens, and frequently a tripod. I didn't have to look at every tree and turn my head every time I heard a bird chirp since with that little short lens there was no point in it. Give it a try some time, you might enjoy it ;)

That's a beautiful location you have there Scott :thumbup:

I really like #4 Scott. Compositionally I like how there are railings and what looks to me like a kayak launch, which lead my eyes into a beautiful scene. It's almost as though I have turned a corner in a pathway and came upon this.

#4 just pushes my buttons. The fence just draws me into the lake. Nice job. Ed

Most reactions

Back