Railroad tracks and the silver lining

FreakTimmah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I finally got back my first roll of black and white film, it took two weeks because I had to send it off since no one locally does it anymore. Sadly I screwed something up when I was rewinding the roll and it became creased in the canister. So my whole roll was ruined except for two shots and this was one of them. I'm really happy with it but I'd welcome any critiques or advice. Also If anyone here is shooting film how do you get yours developed?

2352090-R1-E001 by FreakTimmah1984, on Flickr

Actually after looking at this some more I realized there some things that bothered me, there are some black scratches/spots in the upper part of the frame and I don't understand why the track suddenly becomes white at the bottom. poor development techniques maybe? anyhoo I edited the photo but I'm leaving the old one up because I don't know if the new crop improves the composition or takes too much away from it.

Railroadtrackbw by FreakTimmah1984, on Flickr

Actually after looking at this some more I realized there some things that bothered me, there are some black scratches/spots in the upper part of the frame and I don't understand why the track suddenly becomes white at the bottom. poor development techniques maybe? anyhoo I edited the photo but I'm leaving the old one up because I don't know if the new crop improves the composition or takes too much away from it.

Railroadtrackbw by FreakTimmah1984, on Flickr

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say from your statement about the rest of the roll scratches from the rewind problem.
As for the tracks, where was the sun? Those look like reflections off the track from the sun over your right shoulder.

If you've never had the film creasing before or since, then you had a freak occurrence that you need to address. Whenever you feel any resistance in rewinding, STOP. Use a changing bag or go into a darkroom to unload and manually rewind the roll.

I like the first composition better. It leads me more into the frame. The square crop just doesn't do that.

If you're going to continue to do B&W film, you may as well enjoy it. Buy a changing bag, a small tank, and chemicals and learn to process your own. It's not that difficult and you'll get the satisfaction of making the image start to finish.

This should help ILFORD PHOTO Website - Applications

I really enjoy the look and feel of film.
I never liked square crop.

Wish I could be more helpful!

Thanks for the replies! I think you guys are right and the comp in the first one is better, I need to stick with my gut next time and stop trying to "fix" things. I actually really want to start processing my own BW film, but there is a small investment in equipment I need to make and that just isn't in the budget right now. Hopefully soon it looks like fun. I picked up a roll of C41 BW that I'm going to try in the meantime.

Most reactions

Back