Rails to infinity....

AussieFreelancer said:
perhaps that is what i was trying to say. The fact that the 'seam' is pretty obvious, is what made me think the sky was fake.. but i think rmh159 has hit the nail on the head as to what is a bit out of place. no idea how you would blend that in better, but I would be interested to see what it looks like without the obvious seam. :)

I think I have to start over again.........i'll give it a try.

BTW....this is the original sunset. As you can see I took the top middle left of it to insert in the rail shot.

7985-Sunset1TPF.jpg

I like the composition better in your 2nd attempt, but the sky is not needed. Don't take photos hoping to improve them digitally. If the sky is bland in your scene originally, don't take the photo. The timing is wrong. Come back early in the morning, or just before sunset, and capture those magical colors all in one photograph, without the need for photoshop.

DigitalMatt has a good point (as he usually does). If you can capture the authentic sky in the pic it will be hands down the best quality you can get for that frame.

In the event that you need/want to replace the sky it is hard. The selection process is what makes the seam visible so if you do a poor job of cutting out the original sky... what's left will show the seam. It's hard. Usually I use the magic wand to get the bulk of it and then using the rectangular selection tool to isolate the "seam" I use the Select Color Range to try to get the rest out.

That's usually only 75% of the battle though. You have to make sure the lighting makes sense too so you don't have a bright sky with a dimly lit picture. It can be done, but it's not the easiest process. If this is something you'd have the need for you might want to shoot pics of the sky when it's "ideal" and then note the conditions (time of day, weather conditions, etc) then when you get a pic with a bland sky look through that archive for a sky with similar conditions and use that.

Haha not to contradict myself now but I still agree with Matt that the best way to get a strong sky is to scout out the shot and return when conditions are better. I'd only ever get into cutting skies out when that's not an option... and even then I'd be very hesitant.

OK, guys......here's the original second shot. No PS enhancements at all.

Talk to me.....Please.

7985-Rails2orignalTPF.jpg

One quick thing I'd mention is that the photo is lacking in contrast. If you open it with photoshop. or any program that will show you the histogram, you'll see that you've not taken advantage of your full dynamic range. The ends of the histogram stop short of the full range. Using the levels command, you can correct this, and give the photo a bit more punch.

The composition is better than before, but still seems eye level to me, and The placement of the tracks in the frame to me suggests that it should be moving across the picture, and not straight back.

This looks some better with the crop and contrast.....I tried to save the sky. I know it's not much of a picture, but you guys are helping me to see things and work on them. I haven't been in a darkroom for over thirty years and I seem to have lost my perspective.

I'm still listening......... :D

7985-Rails2TPF.jpg

WOW....you've got a train comming down the line...............!

I knew that someone with imagination would come up with something.

I'm pretty much a B&W kinda guy.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back