Rain drops macro

Brutus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It rained for the past two days, and I noticed some good rain drops on the plants outside. I know it's been done to death, and I don't personally feel I did anything much different than what has been done before, but I'd still like some C&C:

3010935637_626549ff54_b.jpg

3011782808_08233655ce_b.jpg

3011769728_13c9b6b367_b.jpg

1 is my fave...I like how the leaf comes from the top and sticks right out at you.

I like #1 the best. I think #3 would have been great if you crop it tighter. Also, was your flash on or is that light shining on the droplets?

They seem a hair dark... I personally like #2.

I like #1, the way the one leaf is the main focus is really appealing to me.

i love the 3rd picture. actually i love all of them...nice shooting keep it up.

I did indeed use the flash, I just turned it all the way down and zoomed in a bit to stop the lens from casting a shadow. I turned the exposure way down to get the black background, so that's why they are probably a bit dark, although I DID up the exposure when I was uploading the RAW files from my camera.

I like 3 but miss the tips of the bottom leaves (very much).
And while photographing droplets may have "been done to death" it is something new for each and everyone who does this for the first time.
Not sure I so much like the effect the flash was having, though. I find nature photos look best in natural light, or with some fill flash which adds to natural light. But --- OK, it sure helped to get these as sharp as they now are.

Hm, glad to have so many positive comments. Thanks for the input, LaFoto, although I usually like the colors flash gives. Sometimes I've noticed better colors without it, but I usually like to isolate the subject with a black background, so a flash is key.

I have no felt, and this was outside.

Oh alright. Im sorta unfamiliar with the technique anyway. Just something I've read up on. Would the felt outdoors not work because of all the ambient light or something?

Most reactions

Back