Rain + Wedding + Wind = hard

Thanks everyone. The hard part was the group family photos. I was forced to shoot inside due to the rain. It is not that great. It is what it is. I really rushed it because people scattered all over the place because of the rain. The plan was to do these shots right next to the ceremony site. We had to change plan.

p1732047121-4.jpg

How did you light this shot, Robin? Nice photos by the way.

Good stuff, Robin!! Looks like everyone made the best out of the day!

Very nice, i am still very new to technique. If you dont mind me asking how did you do 18? Both the subject and background have great exposure.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

just expose to the background (subject super dark) then add flash to proper power.

On #18, there appears to be a LOT of space between the couple and the lighting. Is this also shot with your AB1600?

Is a speedlight (like the SB-700) powerful enough to get this type of effect too or do you need something more powerful?

On #18, there appears to be a LOT of space between the couple and the lighting. Is this also shot with your AB1600?

Is a speedlight (like the SB-700) powerful enough to get this type of effect too or do you need something more powerful?

That shot was just a bare speedlite. Didnt have that much time to set something more complicated.

Love #7, 16, 18, 19. You did great Robin! This is where experience really comes in handy. :)

as usual Robin, you have totally nailed perfect DOF and color..
brilliant set.

I liked the look of the audience members in the wind! The wind actually took something that's normally pretty boring and staid, watching a wedding take place, and made it exciting! You can just SEE the people reacting to windy conditions, so it makes this wedding look different from the majority of weddings, where the weather is pretty much a non-factor.

I know that Robin answered already, but I just want to add that when the ambient light is darker, you really don't need all that much flash power because to expose for the ambient light, you're likely using a large aperture and/or higher ISO already. And each of those factors will also add to your flash exposure (or require less light from the flash, than small apertures and low ISO).

The times when you need lots of power from a flash, is when you're shooting in bright daylight because your exposure settings for that scenario will likely be low ISO and smaller apertures. To make matters harder, the max flash sync speed is usually 1/200 to 1/250, so without being able to use a shutter speed faster than that, you'd be stuck using a really small aperture like F11 or F16....and that small aperture will require a ton of flash power (unless you can get the flash really close to the subjects).

I have a D800 and a Nikkor 24-70 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8 VR2... my images NEVER look like that. :)

The D800 is a monster, and MORE than capable of shots of this sharpness/color. Keep practicing with it, you'll get similar results - I love mine! PM me if you wanna talk shop.

Great shots considering the circumstances, Robin!

Nice stuff man! Reminds me a little of Ben Chrisman's work.

Most reactions

Back