What's new

Rainier Sunset and Such

RxForB3

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 10, 2012
Messages
654
Reaction score
76
Location
Yakima, WA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took another trip up to Clear Creek Falls. On the way, I did see an interesting piece of rainbow. Interesting because I'm not exactly sure where the moisture was coming from to create the rainbow. I took this pic, though I'm not particularly happy with it aside from the rainbow-ish part.

1.
IMG_8574_5_6 by RxForB3, on Flickr

At the falls I failed miserably. I didn't give it much of an effort, though. I really need to get a portraiture bracket for my tripod. Rather than waiting for the sunset at the falls in a somewhat dangerous location, I decided to drive on to the Rainier overlook for a time lapse. Boy was I glad I did!

2.
IMG_8597 by RxForB3, on Flickr

The time lapse turned out decent. I'm definitely still learning in that area (and all others). I made the rookie mistake of not having a memory card large enough for the time I wanted and starting off with too fast an interval. Hence the bump in the middle and increase in speed, and why it didn't make it till the stars made their appearance.

[video]https://vimeo.com/43809525[/video]

I've really been wanting to figure out astrophotography, so I figured I'd give that a go. I was going to attempt some stacking techniques, but I don't think it would have worked with the mountain as a backdrop, so I just took the first photo of the series and kept it. Not sure what I think of it...

3.
IMG_8903 by RxForB3, on Flickr

Next I decided to try for star trails, but learned two major lessons. First, you need to wait till it's really dark. Second, it doesn't work so well if the clouds are moving...however, I liked the result. What do you think? And can someone tell me why there are various colored pixels if I zoom in close? I tried a long exposure of the waterfall area on my way back and it was extremely plagued by them...

4.
IMG_8932 by RxForB3, on Flickr
 
I realy like number 1, but u should have tried different composition for the others, and you could of Also tried emphasizing the rainbow more. But I still love it!
 
Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else have any thoughts?
 
#3: Dreamy and lovely. Maybe crop out the branches on the left and run one of those programs to remove the few hot pixels. I like the tree in the foreground. Such a pretty photo.
 
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions.

Actually, I thought I already had cropped the tree, but I guess I didn't save...

So those are hot pixels? Is there a way to prevent them aside from not using quite so long an exposure? What sort of program would remove them? Do they do any permanent damage to the camera?
 
In the meantime, I did a google search for hot pixels and found at least some information on it. I'm wondering if that was a reasonable amount of hot pixels to expect from a 15 second exposure (though it was admittedly at an ISO of 3200). Thank you for your article. I'm going to read that next as it seems to have more info than what I found on my google search.

Today when I was out taking photos, I realized a very stupid mistake I made taking this photo. Somehow I wasn't paying attention to what lens I was using. I thought I was shooting at an 18mm focal length. Oy...silly me. As an excuse, it WAS late at night...
 
You wouldn't believe the stuff I forget to check... hehe. Well, I guess we all do it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom