What's new

Sherlock Holmes Reading: The Man With The Twisted Lip

VidThreeNorth

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Oct 21, 2016
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
506
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been thinking about what I will be doing for the rest of this year and that will include more readings of Sherlock Holmes. The question is which stories will I attempt? The next story after the "Five Orange Pips" is "The Man With The Twisted Lip". I thought about whether I would make a big jump past this story, but I decided that I like it because it starts with a look a Watson's home life and shows that his wife seems to have a reputation for being someone who is highly regarded by her friends. This brings to mind Watson's wife in the Robert Downey Jr. movie. Anyway, it is about 3 min, 3 sec. long and was posted Aug 28, 2025:



I'm not making as much progress as I hoped for reading this story. This next clip continues the current "Pt1", but the two combined are not as much as I had wanted to post as a "Pt1". But I will have to wait till I have another clip to add. Unfortunately, I am finding that I have to re-read each paragraph five to 10 times to correct errors. Thinking back, I think that mostly that has been typical for me. There were times that I got away with fewer reads, but Conan Doyle's writing is not natural for me.

"Part 2: The Man With the Twisted Lip"
​
 
Last edited:
Nice choice; The Man With the Twisted Lip is such an interesting story. Looking forward to seeing how you bring it to life in your reading!
 
Nice choice; The Man With the Twisted Lip is such an interesting story. Looking forward to seeing how you bring it to life in your reading!
If you haven't listened to my previous readings, let me explain that these are intended for "read along". Read-along is useful for people learning languages. The readings are generally more "flat" than "dramatic", and generally slower and more evenly paced. I am also limiting my posts to a general maximum of 2 attempts. Unless I make very bad errors, I will generally post my first reading. If I am very unsatisfied with a reading I re-read once. I rarely re-read beyond two times. Since these are "flat" reads. I think reading along (especially if you are reading with a fairly quiet voice) is probably calming, so it is probably good to do something like this before going to sleep. Anyway, that's the theory behind the posts. I knew an artist and I thought about seeing if she might want to collaborate by providing sketches in place of the black screen, but I never got around to asking her. If she had agreed to it, I would have asked if she wanted to open a YouTube channel of her own, so she could benefit by posting some of the readings on that channel to promote her art. But I haven't talked to her in years now, and I think in that case she'd have wanted more dramatic readings to go with her pictures, so I doubt if it would have worked out.
 
If you haven't listened to my previous readings, let me explain that these are intended for "read along". Read-along is useful for people learning languages. The readings are generally more "flat" than "dramatic", and generally slower and more evenly paced. I am also limiting my posts to a general maximum of 2 attempts. Unless I make very bad errors, I will generally post my first reading. If I am very unsatisfied with a reading I re-read once. I rarely re-read beyond two times. Since these are "flat" reads. I think reading along (especially if you are reading with a fairly quiet voice) is probably calming, so it is probably good to do something like this before going to sleep. Anyway, that's the theory behind the posts. I knew an artist and I thought about seeing if she might want to collaborate by providing sketches in place of the black screen, but I never got around to asking her. If she had agreed to it, I would have asked if she wanted to open a YouTube channel of her own, so she could benefit by posting some of the readings on that channel to promote her art. But I haven't talked to her in years now, and I think in that case she'd have wanted more dramatic readings to go with her pictures, so I doubt if it would have worked out.
Ah, makes sense now. The read-along approach sounds really calming - looking forward to the next one!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom