Random portraits overtime.

MagnumPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here, I will post all the portraits I can find and try to put them in some kind of chronological order but knowing my organizational skills I'm up a creek without a paddle. ha

Critiquing appreciated!

Just a little background on all these photos, they are all spur of the moment pictures. However, they are all used with the manual setting I can't stand auto, or autofocus because they never seem to get what you want. Plus its just more of a challenge not using it!

DSC_0013_01-1.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

DSC_0016_01-1.jpg

DSC_0019_01-1.jpg

DSC_0085_01-2.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0032_01.jpg

15.jpg

18.jpg

IMGP0501.jpg

IMGP3012.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

depthoffield.jpg

They ended up being in no certain order, and I know they all look very amateur. And simply put, they are. I have never really had the chance to do real portrait work. Which leads me to a question not so much related to portraits but still related to photography.

How do you get yourself known for photography? How can I find work, I'm doing a bunch of free stuff with friends to build up a portfolio but I want to be able to take it else where to, but I'm not sure how to start.

Any advice?

I wouldn't consider any of these "portraits". You have some fun snapshots, and some other shots that might have potential. I wouldn't put any of them in your portfolio. #9 might have some potential if you didn't chop his fingers off ...it also seems soft to me, but it's hard to tell. #12 might have potential if your light was a bit better, maybe turning the subject ever so slightly to camera left might have helped (especially since there is hair over part of the face where the light is coming from)...Also, maybe not quite so close, since there is some distortion. So...maybe take a step back and then crop it later to this close.

You get yourself known as a photographer by taking AWESOME photos. Not snapshots. I also do a lot of photos for friends/family and practice is key! =) Just keep it up and take as many photos as possible. =)

Portraits may not be my forte, but maybe I'm wrong at this but I thought a portrait was a capturing of someones personality via full, mid, or close ups? Maybe I should have labeled them as informal portraits? I can see how it can be misleading, because when you think of portraits you think of a staged, or propped up area with well applied lighting and what not?
I just wouldn't consider them snapshots.

Oh, and I do agree on the portfolio comment [= out of all the photos I have taken to this day I only have maybe twenty i consider portfolio worthy, I should put those up now that I think about it.

I guess it depends on what part of their personality you think you've captured? I generally think of a portrait as a photo that draws my attention to the subject's eyes. Most of your subjects are wearing sunglasses and the settings you've taken them are by definition snapshots. Sorry to burst your bubble.

What exactly would you like us to see? Overall...I see chipped nail polish, chopped limbs and tongue, a horizon at a 45 degree angle, harsh shadows, soft focus, and your reflection. Does that sum up anyone's personality? I'd be happy to break it down by photo, but overall...they are just fun snapshots of hanging out with friends.

See whatever you wish to see, I'm not one to force opinions on another.

The only thing I ask of this community, is to give more explanation on why they may be considered snapshots. (in this case) or whatever may be said in the future.
Naturally I'm not one to take a statement (good or bad) and leave it settled, I want more input than your average person.
Which is why I came up rude and snide, possibly out of place for being a new member in my reply.
Because I knew it would get better input from you.

But now that I have a better input on why they are considered snapshots,
Overall...I see chipped nail polish, chopped limbs and tongue, a horizon at a 45 degree angle, harsh shadows, soft focus, and your reflection.
I will be happy to let my bubble burst.
Do you think you could possibly take a look see at the photos I posted in the journalism section?

I just wouldn't consider them snapshots.

Sorry, another bubble burster here, but FarrahJ is dead on with her assessment. These are snapshots of a fun day out. There's nothing wrong with that, we all do it.

If you want proper C&C, post one photo that you are proud of, that doesn't look like these. The best piece of advice I will offer is to have a close inspection of others works that you find enticing. Study the shots. What have they done that you wish to emulate? If you want Facebook shots, congratulations, mission accomplished.... however, if you want to improve, there is a mindset that needs to be garnered. It's not about just pressing the shutter button.

i agree with farrahj/kundalini.....thanks for sharing....i think u won't mind...

make portraits that make the man/woman's personality.....it is more psychologically...!!! may be face, bust, waist-level or full.

Do you think you could possibly take a look see at the photos I posted in the journalism section?

I'm glad you're taking the cc as intended...to help you! =)

I looked at your skating shots and really like them. I think you have some really great captures. I really love #8 & 9, 14 & 15... The sunflare between the legs in the collage is GREAT! =)

Just keep practicing and have fun! =)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back