It was suggested to me that I get off of auto back when I was using my XTi and it was probably the best thing you can do to start learning. Using Auto is fun when you've got a new camera because you want to see the pictures it can produce but the truth is with some time and effort in each shot you can produce a much better photograph than the camera's automatic system can.
Its important even when you know very little to get off of auto and put the sucker into manual and start taking pictures, adjusting the settings along the way. This way, you can see what settings affect your final product and how they do so, so you can learn through mistakes. I've read and learned a lot here on the forum and in all the books suggested here and elsewhere, but its important you pick up the camera and try these things yourself so you can practically learn, not just in theory. Due to work I typically only have very dark hours of the day to try things, so most of mine are around the house and not interesting, but by trying to achieve various results you can learn along the way.
I made sure when I got my 50D in the mail that it would never see the little green box (Full Auto) or P modes
nice pictures though

now put it into manual and get shooting!