Random thought...does this happen in photography too?

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
Okay, little bit of background--I help moderate a discussion board about one of my other hobbies, keeping of saltwater reef aquariums. It's a very open and informative board, and we rarely, if ever, censor anyone's opinions about stuff.

But we're at our wit's end with one of our new members. In some ways similar to photography, the technology of reefkeeping is constantly evolving. Unlike photography, 20 year old technology is completely and totally outdated, and really no one uses it anymore, as better methods have been devised to filter the tanks, etc. Well this new member...he comes in and immediately goes to the new-reefkeeper forum and starts pounding away, giving "advice" about how his method is the newest, most cutting edge way of doing things, and it's the only way new reefkeepers should have their tanks. He completely ignores anyone that tries to offer scientific proof that his way is 30 year old bunk.

It'd be like if someone came to a photography forum and started expounding how everyone with a d70 or 20d is going about it all wrong, and that daugherotypes (sp?) and tin-types are the newest wave of technology, and that everyone in the hobby should use only those types of camera.

Sorry, just had to vent. :irked:

[/rant]

Ya know...I've found that some people are just COMPLETELY closed minded. Close minded people are people I don't wanna be around.

All you can do is run around after him posting the better or a different way to do things after he has posted his. The person asking the question can then decide which is best for them. Hopefully, other users will do the same.

But if he's being a pain in the arse, is disrupting the forum and is refusing to listen you'll have to warn/ban them for the sake of the forum and its reputation.

Yeah, we hate to ban anyone, but it's really coming down to that point.

The biggest problem is that he's posting his hoo-hah to the newbie forum. That's baaaaaad ju-ju, because ppl that go there usually are only thinking about getting into the hobby, and when they read his blatherings they get entirely wrong ideas about how to start out in the hobby.

Less is more. Ignore him completely and he'll eventually shape up or disappear. Then it will be peaceful...........for a short time anyway until another 'library educated rocket scientist' comes in and takes his place and thus, the cycle of life continues :wink:

That's how I dealt with a majority of problem people on a board I used to moderate. I got so good at it everyone caught on and followed suit. These were mostly teenagers though so it doesn't matter what you say, you're just feeding a desire for attention that will never stop unless you starve it.

Shark said:
It'd be like if someone came to a photography forum and started expounding how everyone with a d70 or 20d is going about it all wrong, and that daugherotypes (sp?) and tin-types are the newest wave of technology, and that everyone in the hobby should use only those types of camera.
[/rant]

You all use digital?????? You can't do that! It is morally wrong to use something that takes less than an hour to expose the glass plate. :)

I agree that if you ignore this clown, he will either go away or come to the conclusion that he needs to be a little less critical. If not, maybe someone will send him a nice little note and let him know.

The problem though is that in good conscience, we moderators can't let him expound his methodology to new reefkeepers. They're just little fishies, but lives are at stake here. The hobby is struggling as it is, and if everyone came into the hobby and followed his advice, they'd kill a bunch of animals and leave the hobby frustrated and broke within 6 months. So we've got to offer counterpoints to his advice. But he's just too thick-skulled to either a) open his mind to modern technology or b) understand that what he does can work, but not for newbies. It's really a lose-lose situation. :|

You can either boot em' or ignore em'...Just like any forum about anything, there are big fish and little fish (quite fitting for an aquarium forum anyway) You got your once a week posters, and your super knowledgible, post everyday posters. Common sense will prevail when everyone just ignores him.

A newb asks a question, the dingle-ling answers with his dribble, just pretend you don't see him and post your own opinion but in no way make any kind of reference to this nimb-wits post, just pretend he's not there. All it takes is a few of the big fish to answer in the same thread, ignoring the dweeby completely, and anyone with common sense will see who's making the most sense and should be trusted more. Do this with all the threads and he'll go away eventually.

I know there's a lot more to keeping fish and how some people feel about mis-information. I've been there done that with Discus and Betas in the freshwater arena. But it just might take a few newbs to show up on your forum and oust this guy because they tried what he said and they were left with 4oz of fish filets that cost $200+. Second time I've said it this week "failure is education" and unfortunately that's the only way some people learn.

But you know that, you're a teacher. Get the moderators all together and you ALL post the best replys you can to every thread that this guy has participated in. Keep a 3 to 1 ratio going and the newbs will go with the most popular/common methods.

And that concludes this week's installment of "How to get along with your neighbors and what to do if an undesirable moves in down the street". Stay tuned as next week we will have a guest celebrity with us as we learn to skin a monkey while driving in the carpool lane.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back