randomness

Huzzah! Welcome to my shed. :mrgreen:

c86b5d40.jpg

Man....I would love to have a place like that for a darkroom. Looks like you'll have plenty of room. :thumbup:

Do you have running water in there, too?

Will do eventually. Gonna lay some pipe up to it (about £100 all told). No warm water, but I can use a kettle and my Jobo for that.

That'll work. I'd be happy with any kind of running water - my darkroom is a converted upstairs bedroom, so I have to tote water down the hall for a holding tank for my prints, then use the print washer at the kitchen sink.

It works, but I do get misty-eyed when I dream of having a real working darkroom someday. :lol:

Well get your arse on a plane and you'll have access to one. :p

Have you got an upstairs bathroom or a water tank in your loft? It'd be easy to get water to the room.

Well get your arse on a plane and you'll have access to one. :p

Have you got an upstairs bathroom or a water tank in your loft? It'd be easy to get water to the room.
Yep, the bathroom is just a few steps down the hall. I use a very large plastic storage bin thingy and fill it with water. I put it at the end of the lineup of trays on my darkroom table.

It's a heavy bugger to tote, that's all. :x

I don't know how your houses are constructed there. Over here all I'd have to do to get water from the bathroom to my room is take up a few floorboards, lay some pipe and that's it. Even easier for me as the hot and cold water are right next to me as well.
Getting rid of the waste is tougher. Especially if you have to do any 45min washing.

Look into it. Sure you've got buns of steel from moving that water around, but it'd make life easier for you.

I don't know how your houses are constructed there. Over here all I'd have to do to get water from the bathroom to my room is take up a few floorboards, lay some pipe and that's it. Even easier for me as the hot and cold water are right next to me as well.
Getting rid of the waste is tougher. Especially if you have to do any 45min washing.

Look into it. Sure you've got buns of steel from moving that water around, but it'd make life easier for you.
Nah, in the long run it's not worth it to me to REALLY convert what is supposed to be a bedroom into a working darkroom. I'll sell this place eventually and it's unlikely it would be a selling point to have a faucet in the middle of a bedroom. As it stands I'll have a lot of holes to repair and paint over from the extra shelving and safelights, but that's easy stuff.

Trust me, we've kicked it around. If we decided to really hunker down here, then yes, running a pipe would be very easy since the bathroom is right against this bedroom and the plumbing is right there. When we decided to sell, it could be removed and the wall sealed up. It's how long we'll be here to actually enjoy it that gives pause to the added expense on both ends of the project. That's why I wish I had a basement or outdoor shed or something that wasn't so integral to the interior living space that I could convert.

When we're both retired and spending more time in there, it might suddenly make more sense. In the meantime.....I tote and complain. :mrgreen:

Almost all done. Only thing to really do now is get the water up there. The waste is sorted and I can carry up a big (BIG) bottle of water and stand that on the side. The Jobo heats it all up for me.

Jobs today are just to trim down a bit of board to get it to fit into the window better (the black out boards for the window).
Check to make sure the waste isn't leaking.
Sort out some paper and chemicals and do the two coin test.
Dig out the sewing machine and make up my dust cover for the enlarger (yes, I can actually sew and normaly do it by hand :p )

Within the next couple of weeks I'll have running water and I'll have bought some Photocolour II to develop my colour negs.

but why not build a nice wooden sink and keep your trays inside the sink, that way there is no spillage. you can drain into 5 or ten gallon bucket

I read that you have water close by. so why not use a hose, and a pump hung high overhead. flip the switch and it pumps water into your big tank.

I hope you paint that darkroom white.! black is just so awful for working long extende hours. Kodak gives a whole list of reasons why any darkroom should be white.

also. getting the "stains"? off your jobo ? drum ? Lysol toilet bowl
cleaner!

I had a Durst Color semi auto color processor and the rollers would get black tar.. Durst said to use Nitric Acid which is too dangerous.

I found a better easier method! Lysol! toilet bowl cleaner.. blue liquid !

Most reactions

Back