Rant/Am I the only one?

deannamb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am new to this forum, and I don't wanna start off on the wrong foot with everyone so I hope this doesn't upset anyone or make them think I'm a bia. ;)

I just need to get something off my chest, and hope that someone here relates.

There is a 'friend' (read: the facebook kind) that I've never actually met. We became fb friends through her best friend, whose engagement photos I took last year. She loved them and wanted me to do some, she said, so we talked for a while. Nothing ever came of that, and then this year her cousin or something graduated and she took her out with her Kodak p&s and took some 'photos' which she proceeded to Picnik within an inch of their lives and post on facebook to RAVE reviews.

Since then, she has been going on photo shoots and charging people for over exposed, awkward, poor quality photos of their families. Photos in mid-day sun with sunglasses on and squinty eyes and just... Not good.

Please understand that I am the LAST person to think someone shouldn't follow their dream but she is just... not very good.

Recently a lot of my poses-- Okay, not mine, because let's face it poses are just that, and there are only so many-- have conveniently found their way into her "photos" and I am beginning to lose patience.

Is it wrong that I am so frustrated with this girl, or maybe it is just jealousy masking itself as something else?

I've been trying to make a name for myself for years with photography and it is happening, slowly. They say overnight success takes about 15 years, after all. And here's this girl with a point and shoot who just decided last month she's a photographer and she's got people lined up right and left, and now she is copying my photos as well.

Feedback, guys, help me out here!

Ha well it's sort of sad to say this, but I've been that person who might frustrate a more seasoned photographer (although not as drastic as this). I did the same thing she was doing for a week and realized that it was rediculous and that I shouldn't be charging for low quality shots.
I can tell that it would be hard to put up with this because of your efforts to get a steady flow of customers in. The real reason that this girl has people lined up is probably because of her price, it is probably a rediculously low rate. and most people out there think that any photo that looks like the person taking it made some sort of effort with it is a good photo.

But I personally wouldn't worry about her, because she will either drop away from photography or she will come to realize that it isn't a smart thing to do. anyone that is serious and wants to make a career or major hobby out of photography doesn't want the more experienced photographers to look down on them and they don't want to put out bad photos. I would say focus on your marketing and keep it up. It will work out for you eventually and you will be making a lot more money then she could.

I think it is just hard for me to wrap my head around because it's something -I'M- so passionate, and have been pursuing for so long, and here she just picks up a camera and people go nuts for mediocrity.

My friend and I were having a discussion about this, that now we understand why the people on American Idol who cannot carry a tune in a bucket, or probably wouldn't even recognize one if it bit them on the butt, wind up on the show. Someone, somewhere, didn't have the heart to tell them "Well, maybe this isn't your forte, have you thought about taking up tennis?"

So the people get false confidence and go all the way, way too soon, instead of taking the time to learn and appreciate their craft. To me, photography is just like any other trade-- You have to learn your skill before you get paid to practice it.

You wouldn't call someone up who'd just learned to flush a toilet to come do your plumbing, right?

I need to go to bed, I am sounding mean! Haha. It's just very mind-boggling to me.

Thank you for your feedback!

Ha nah, you have every right to be upset with that stuff. ha I hope it fuels you to take better pictures!

and I just want to take this moment to apologize to every experienced photographer out there for my ignorance and stupidity for that week! ha ha I hope I can be forgiven! :guilty:

Last edited:
Well...sad to say, but this is a scenario that pops up more and more these days. These days meaning, that cameras cost hardly any money, the internet providing a marketing platform for anyone and social networking sites providing the tool for people to get heard...or seen ;)

I can fully relate to this happening. And all I can say is, hang in there.
Yes, many "clients" are suckers for low prices. Quality and originality seem to count for less and less in the "uneducated client" and that sadly is the broad mass.

Having attended several seminars and having given the odd lecture here or there many people in the audience are beginners, which I find good, as those lectures / seminars would not interest the advanced hobby photographer and would bore any professional one. But the thing I see is, young guys and girls, decided that photography is something they might want to do, sitting there with "pro" equipment, but shooting in AUTO mode.
Ok - maybe not that much wrong with it??
But it is these people that then get it into their heads, that they want to make money with it.

You wouldn't call someone up who'd just learned to flush a toilet to come do your plumbing, right?

Absolutely not!!

I really hope that she drops her act soon and that she stops to copy you in that respect.
Wish you all the best, and hang in there...generally these self-acclaimed point&shoot "professionals" do not last that long...

I am new to this forum, and I don't wanna start off on the wrong foot with everyone so I hope this doesn't upset anyone or make them think I'm a bia. ;)

There is a 'friend' (read: the facebook kind) that I've never actually met. We became fb friends through her best friend, whose engagement photos I took last year. She loved them and wanted me to do some, she said, so we talked for a while. Nothing ever came of that, and then this year her cousin or something graduated and she took her out with her Kodak p&s and took some 'photos' which she proceeded to Picnik within an inch of their lives and post on facebook to RAVE reviews.

Since then, she has been going on photo shoots and charging people for over exposed, awkward, poor quality photos of their families. Photos in mid-day sun with sunglasses on and squinty eyes and just... Not good.

Please understand that I am the LAST person to think someone shouldn't follow their dream but she is just... not very good.

Recently a lot of my poses-- Okay, not mine, because let's face it poses are just that, and there are only so many-- have conveniently found their way into her "photos" and I am beginning to lose patience.

Is it wrong that I am so frustrated with this girl, or maybe it is just jealousy masking itself as something else?

I've been trying to make a name for myself for years with photography and it is happening, slowly. They say overnight success takes about 15 years, after all. And here's this girl with a point and shoot who just decided last month she's a photographer and she's got people lined up right and left, and now she is copying my photos as well.

Your rant is worthless, you are wasting your time. From the beginning of time this has been happening...now it is happening to you. woe is you

Here is the solution(s) available to you.

1. rant and rave and loose sleep - always a good way to go through life

2. Forgetaboutit - then you can focus on you and work that much closer towards your own success.

A little rant and rave is good for you :lol:...at least that is what the doc said

But yeah, there is nothing you can do about it except for waiting till she drops it - and then, there is always the chance of another person coming along to take her place...

Your rant is worthless, you are wasting your time. From the beginning of time this has been happening...now it is happening to you. woe is you

Here is the solution(s) available to you.

2. Forgetaboutit - then you can focus on you and work that much closer towards your own success.

Rants are generally a dime a dozen, I just needed to get that off my chest. Pardon me.

Fact of life, some people are happy settling for mediocrity so long as it's easy on their wallets. But those people they're so cheap they probably wouldn't be your clients anyway. So she's not really taking any business away from you. She's only getting the people who are clueless as to what quality really is and who would likely only nickel and dime you trying to get you to do the work for practically nothing.

Take consolation in that fact and concentrate on attracting the people who will get the quality work you do. They'll come once they see how well you work. It may take time, but in the end you'll have better clients and more money coming in than she ever will.

Rants are generally a dime a dozen, I just needed to get that off my chest. Pardon me.

Yes, sometimes it does make one feel better.

PMA always makes one feel better, any day of the week!!!

Take consolation in that fact and concentrate on attracting the people who will get the quality work you do. They'll come once they see how well you work. It may take time, but in the end you'll have better clients and more money coming in than she ever will.

This is PMA

Yes. I don't expect my rambling to change anything, just one of those things! ;)

None of your poses are new and photographers have been copying each others poses since the 2nd ever portrait photographer started releasing the shutter.

There is photography, and there is the photography business. They are not the same thing.

If someone is willing to buy from you (or her), regardless the image quality, more power to you (and her). Caveat Emptor. It means 'buyer beware'.

There has always been, and always will be, a market for low quality, dirt cheap photography.

LIGMO otherwise let it go, move on.

however, i do undestand what you mean and it can be madding

I first read through your post and it comes off as a bit of jelousy, which I would assume is normal as someone is getting more success than you are withtin a shorter period and with less work.

As KmH mentionned, the business side of photography is not the same as being a photographer. I've seen sub part photographers make a decent living because they know how to run a business, they have a good business plan, can market well and work with people VERY well. But their images lack any interest and in some cases, focus.

There will always be people like this. There are VPs in my company that do an amazing job, and others that somehow managed to get to the top and no one really knows why.

I would think that she will hit a wall at some point, while your persistance might carry you through to bigger things. Just keep on producing solid work (assuming you are, I haven't seen your stuff) and things will come. Maybe find better ways to market yourself, take some classes or go on a seminar or something, as it seems you might be lacking in this respect.

Most reactions

Back