Ranting

Pardon my rant, I've had a glass and a half of wine.

Why is it that it seems that once one gets a DSLR, they decide to"go pro" while their pics look like crap? I suppose one could fix certain things in photoshop or some other post processing technique, but why wouldn't you want to learn how to correctly shoot the subject in the first place? How is it that some "pros" are on a beginners forum asking straight up simple questions?

So I get my brothers' pics from his wedding last month and OMG, some are good, but there is nothing special about them except some photoshopping etc...and the lady charged 3500 FREAKING dollars!

I guess I am a perfectionist, if I didn't have a solid understanding of the foundations of photography, I would never sell myself to someone else as being a pro.
The photog wasn't aiming to please you, he was aiming to please his client ( whether that client has low expectations and taste, is up for debate ) However, while we are sitting here pissing and moaning about it, that guy is cashing his check and paying his bills. Guess the jokes on us.

Also, "pro" is a reference to being paid, don't confuse it with meaning "extremely skilled"

Also, "pro" is a reference to being paid, don't confuse it with meaning "extremely skilled"
IMO, and many dictionary definitions, that is exactly backwards.

And you are entitled to your opinion. While many people associate the words professional and amatuer with a level of skill ( because typically that is a measurable difference ) their actual meaning is paid and unpaid. Look at sports for a pretty clear example. I am sure that some dictionaries will list it as such since things are constantly evolving, and since "FO SHIZZLE" is in many dictionaries, but what can ya do.:lol:

Sports, pretty clear example that the paid sports pros are "extremely skilled".

Why learn anything when there's money to be made right now?

Time is money!!

:lmao:

Despite my saying that I never would, I went pro last week. I shot a guys bike for a craig's list ad for a case of beer. I'm sorry.

Working for beer doesn't count. You're still good.

What kind of beer was it, lol?

And you are entitled to your opinion. While many people associate the words professional and amatuer with a level of skill ( because typically that is a measurable difference ) their actual meaning is paid and unpaid. Look at sports for a pretty clear example. I am sure that some dictionaries will list it as such since things are constantly evolving, and since "FO SHIZZLE" is in many dictionaries, but what can ya do.:lol:

Huh...I looked that phrase up on Urbandictionary.com

" "fo shizzle ma nizzle" is a bastardization of "fo' sheezy mah neezy" which is a bastardization of "for sure mah *****" which is a bastdardization of "I concur with you whole heartedly my African american brother" "

Every industry has its quality variations. He obviously thought her quality was up to his standards or maybe he has the lower standards.

That's hilarious, bartering a photo for some beer. I guess you really did go pro by apparent definition. I think I'll stick with being an enthusiast for now. Soon though I want to over-charge for wedding photos and misrepresent my skill just so I can I have some fiat money.

These kind of threads make me cringe.

I've apparently recently crossed the "friends think my pictures are cool" threshold, and recently I've been getting deluged with friends (and friends of friends, and sisters of friends) asking me to take engagement/kids/wedding/car/etc. pictures. They'll ask me what my "rate" is. I say "free". They say "that's ridiculous!" and insist on giving me money anyway after the shoot.

Is that bad? I don't know. I tell them up front I'm learning, and I hardly consider myself a professional, barely a student in fact, but they don't seem to listen. They just see what I dump on facebook and think I'm some sort of tiny photo god.

Seeing as I'm broke as hell, though, it is very, very hard to turn down cash repeatedly. I think if you're up front about your ability (and realize that what you think is awesome really isn't), it isn't too bad. If you tout yourself as God's gift to photography, though, well, hubris is fun to shoot down.

I don't post often because I am not pro and I don't know how much I can say to anyone here.... But how do you become pro? How did you become pro. I am reading my butt off every second I have. I practice all time. In fact my 4 year old runs everytime he hears me getting my camera out of the bag crying NO MOM NO MORE PICTURES lol. I have a friend that I did some work for free and another one I did some work for that gave me one of his shirts he was selling. I never claim to be pro. I tell anyone that I am not pro but if I practice on them and they really like the work than is it ok to charge a little more for what they buy? Yes I do have my little watermark. I don't claim that makes me pro.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back