Rapid-Omega problem

montresor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Tried the 180mm lens on the Rapid-Omega 200 -- everything looked great in the rangefinder, but the negs came up way fuzzy! I assume that I need to make some kind of RF adjustment for the long lens. Just for the record, focus is fine for the 90mm and the 58mm (though maybe the DOF at 58mm is deceiving). Anyone have experience with this who can advise?

How far away were you trying to focus? It has been a while since I have used a RO or KO but, under 14 feet or so the 180 lens will not focus well at all, not to mention it can be a difficult lens for this camera to focus with the range finder. Another problem could be the pin on the lens that registers with the range finder and focusing device could be out of alignment somehow, not 100% sure my memory remembers how it works though.

How far away were you trying to focus? It has been a while since I have used a RO or KO but, under 14 feet or so the 180 lens will not focus well at all, not to mention it can be a difficult lens for this camera to focus with the range finder. Another problem could be the pin on the lens that registers with the range finder and focusing device could be out of alignment somehow, not 100% sure my memory remembers how it works though.

^^Excellent!

I would also check the film pressure plate on the KO back, it's known to have a weak spring. Have you tried to shoot at smaller apertures with that 180mm? If the pics come out sharper at the smaller apertures (11,16,22) then it might be the film pressure plate. Just a thought...

I checked the pressure plate springs and they seem to be good. I wonder if the pin is an issue, it gave me more than a bit of trouble when mounting it. That sounds like it would be a tough and expensive fix, though, and I'm hoping it was a matter of operator error. I was treating it like a 300mm zoom on a 35mm camera. The distance might also be an issue, I was using it on the street, handheld, and focusing fairly close, about 15-20 feet away. Will re-try with it battened down on a tripod and focused far away. Thanks for the help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back