Rappel/Rock Climbing. How can I tell a better story?

PCimages

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm gearing up for my second season of rock climbing/rappelling and I'm looking for suggestions to improve my photos. Specifically on the climbing shot, I feel like there isn't much of a story in the picture.
$NIK_8539.JPG$NIK_3145_01.JPG
$NIK_2672.JPG

Attachments

• $Rappelling+silhouette+2.JPG
    $Rappelling+silhouette+2.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 289
  • $NIK_2528.JPG
    $NIK_2528.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 223
There may be some mileage between a story and a good image. In the first set - the shot of the boy grasping the ridge, tells a story...

Yet the lower pic of the silhouette at sunset is the better image. A little story might reveal itself with a crop of the climber looking down

Seems to me there are two subjects combined - the rock formations and the humans.

The rock needs more photo real estate than climbers to show the threat to life

Maybe you're looking for more than what's available in your choice of subject matter

Rags

Love all five. I like the first silhouette (climber on top) better than the second.

The rappelling shot through the cavern hole is nice too, but might have been better with a wider shot showing more of the hole he's coming through.

IMO, get closer and shoot wider...

The photo of the kid rappelling and the town in the background is OUTSTANDING!!!!

Need to get out and over more. Check out this guy.

$stepladder.jpg

or like this

$mountain-climb-pho_1888871i.jpg

yea....big cup of nope on that one.

LOL! Outdoor action photography is not a spectator activity... You've got to "get in it" to get the really good pictures... It's also very hard on gear.

That guy is crazy. A ladder? Really? This is one sport I could never do.

Well as long as you don't go past the top step it's perfectly safe.

Why do you find the second silhouette better? I'm asking simply because I can't decide which one I like more.

Rags- why do you like the second silhouette more? I'm asking because I can't make a decision on which one I like more.

Ideally, the silhouette would be just above where it is in the second image. That would make the climber the most prominent spot on the wall, and in the middle of the bright area. Both would help draw the most attention to it.

Rags- why do you like the second silhouette more? I'm asking because I can't make a decision on which one I like more.

Well first .... the indirectly lit clouds contribute (& better sun exposure); the climber looking down could be anxiety, fear....

It's more of an engaging shot to me as a viewer

Rags

Most reactions

Back