Rare bird photo + focusing questions?

pedalpics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am still very new to this slr thing coming from a P&S and not sure if I am having focusing issues or if its normal. I have a Nikon D3100 and seem to have the best luck shooting on the 3D focusing mode. My problem is that I am finding it hard to get things in focus all the time especially wildlife. Is this normal because they are not always still and in busy settings? Also don"t usually use a tripod so is that probably part of the problem and shooting with the Nikon 55-300 dx lens. Maybe I am just expecting to much for my equipment and for how and what I am shooting? Feel like I have gotten better with holding the camera still and keeping the focus dot on the subject but its not always easy.

By the way this is an Aztec Thrush just recently sited in Madera Canyon just south of Tucson, AZ. Pretty rare here from what I hear just getting into the birding world as well as the camera world.

Here is an example
#1 I think looks good after cropping.
#2 Doesn't look bad no cropping just the normal shot
#3 Is a cropped version of 2 and I think its not perfect and only Ok.
C&Cs more then fine if you guys don't hurt my feelings I'm sure my wife will so shoot.

DSC_5185.JPG

DSC_5130.JPG

DSC_5130-1.jpg

That first shot is quite good, especially given the rare bird breed.

I can't help you much on the focusing issue (don't use Nikon), but I do know that it's pretty difficult to get good focus with birds - the tree branches, bird's movements, etc all interfere.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge about your camera will add to this. If not, maybe try posting your question in the NIkon forum or Beyond the Basics to see if you get some help there.

What settings were you using (aperture/shutter speed/ISO)?

I really like your shots. For a beginner with SLR's, you did splendidly! I'm also having problems along these lines shooting wildlife with my Nikon D60. I'd like to hear what other people have to say :)

For birds or anything that moves, I use continuous focus mode 95% of the time, unless it's a particularly slow moving or still bird such as a heron eyeing up a fish. On your D3100 it is represented as "AF-C" in the focus mode menu - this means that as you follow the bird, the camera will constantly adjust the focus to keep your subject in focus, but it does mean you have to keep the focus point on the subject and crop for composition later, or once the focus is where you want it you can hold the AE-L/AF-L button on the back of the camera and it will hold the focus there. However, for moving birds, particularly in flight this is nigh-on impossible!

The first shot is great, you really caught it well in its environment and the crop is well thought out, you have the body to the right, but since his head is turned the other way, you've got him looking into the frame, it's pretty much spot on. It may be a touch on the dark side but I think this is just my personal view, rather than an exposure issue.

The other two aren't anywhere near the standard of the first one, the bird is small and lost in the foliage. But that's the nature of bird photography! I must use about 10-20% of the shots I take of birds, but that's all part of the fun! When you get that killer shot, you'll want to sit in a bush and click all day long!

For birds or anything that moves, I use continuous focus mode 95% of the time, unless it's a particularly slow moving or still bird such as a heron eyeing up a fish. On your D3100 it is represented as "AF-C" in the focus mode menu - this means that as you follow the bird, the camera will constantly adjust the focus to keep your subject in focus, but it does mean you have to keep the focus point on the subject and crop for composition later, or once the focus is where you want it you can hold the AE-L/AF-L button on the back of the camera and it will hold the focus there. However, for moving birds, particularly in flight this is nigh-on impossible!

The first shot is great, you really caught it well in its environment and the crop is well thought out, you have the body to the right, but since his head is turned the other way, you've got him looking into the frame, it's pretty much spot on. It may be a touch on the dark side but I think this is just my personal view, rather than an exposure issue.

The other two aren't anywhere near the standard of the first one, the bird is small and lost in the foliage. But that's the nature of bird photography! I must use about 10-20% of the shots I take of birds, but that's all part of the fun! When you get that killer shot, you'll want to sit in a bush and click all day long!

thanks Forkie and everyone else. I will check to see if I am on continuous focus maybe that will help. Its definitely is a challenge shooting wildlife thats for sure but I think thats what draws me to want to do that more then anything else. It offers a great challenge and takes you to some cool spots and I have noticed that maybe 10% of what I take is any good at all so it means i get to go back out and try again. Its a blast.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back