I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
for a while now, the Wife's interests have been more sewing related and less photography related, so we are always on the lookout for interesting sewing machines.
I found this at the local flea market and picked it up cheap. (well, cheap for what its worth cleaned up)
its a Singer model 24-51 hand crank chain stitch sewing machine.
only 2000 of this model were made in 1913. its a VERY rare machine, especially with the bentwood case intact.
there were a few different model 24's made...an electric model (seems to be the most abundant model)
a model meant for a treadle (no case and no hand crank) and the model we have, the handcrank model with bentwood case.

shes not in pristine condition, but certainly good condition for her age. the wife is going to do some cleaning and some touch-up paint. unfortunately, there does not seem to be any replacement decals available anywhere like there are for many other machines, but we will keep a look out anyway.
Her vintage sewing machine forum are all clammering to drool over it...one or two have this machine so hopefully they will have some information on how best to restore some of the cosmetic stuff.
anyway, for anyone else interested in these old machines....

DSC_0280.jpg

I love old machines.

But maybe that's because I am one.

shes not in pristine condition, but certainly good condition for her age.
Same with my lovely wife :biglaugh:

It looks like a good find. Have fun with the restoration.

Ooh that's a beauty. The case is too. I have my grandma's but it's not quite this old, and I never thought about looking for a vintage sewing machine forum, sounds interesting.

Nice! My grandmother did alterations out of her home, after retiring from JC Penny's in the mid '60's. She had one similar to yours, but probably not that old. I think one of my sisters has it now.

Our culture really was special back in that era. Outstanding craftsmanship, quality material, and engineering. As a society, we are so far from this model it could be considered a shame. We consume everything in abundance.

I'm just curious if restoring it would kill the value? I know in the firearms world many guns have been ruined by somebody performing a "restoration" instead of leaving it in original used condition.

I'm just curious if restoring it would kill the value? I know in the firearms world many guns have been ruined by somebody performing a "restoration" instead of leaving it in original used condition.
It depends on the machine, and the "restoration".
As far as sewing machines go, typically a good restoration will increase value.
In this case however, a full restoration will be difficult because we cannot find any company making the decals for it like are still made for many other machines.

What i did do is strip most of the parts off and clean the rust off all the chrome parts. Gave them a good polish. There's still minor pitting in some spots though. Can't really do much about it. Some parts have chrome worn off... where the decals are, I won't do much of anything since leaving the decals as intact as possible is important. (Unless I eventually find replacement decals)
For the rest of the machine, I will clean the rust off and use black matching touch up paint to fix the spots.

It's really about knowing the machine, and knowing how to do the repairs or replacements. Sometimes with these older machines i can find replacement parts, which can be better than trying to fix or repair a part. Sometimes it's just better to leave stuff be.
It also depends on whether you plan on keeping a machine or its something you want to sell.

That's a gorgeous old sewing machine. Beautiful wood, metal...what's not to love? I'm sure it was well used and valued highly in its heyday. :586:

Does this one make it the oldest now, in her collection? I know she has amassed quite a few.

That's a gorgeous old sewing machine. Beautiful wood, metal...what's not to love? I'm sure it was well used and valued highly in its heyday. :586:

Does this one make it the oldest now, in her collection? I know she has amassed quite a few.
It's the oldest by a few years.
Her next oldest is a singer model 128 hand crank from 1930 that I have some replacement parts on order for.

I've got a few I'll be doing after we get then fixed up a bit more

For some reason I can't see the photo :(
Reading the comments though reminded me of the little I know about my great grandfather, who was apparently as sewing machine repair man about this time! I wouldn't have thought there where enough sewing machines made back then to make it practical to have a job purely repairing them.
Good luck with your own repairs!

Most reactions

Back