RAW format

Nevica

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I own a Panasonic Lumix (Leica) digital camera.

I want to save the images in RAW format to retain as much information as possible instead of saving in jpg format in which (I understand) the image quality is slightly diminished. From here on how to I retain the image quality of a RAW image with minimal tinkering around with it?

I can use the software supplied to me with the camera which is SilkyPix Developer. Want I want to do is upload the RAW file into SilkyPix and then save as a jpg (with no tinkering) for more widespread use. How much information in the picture will I loose at this stage? Will it be the same as saving in jpg format in the camera?

Anyones knowledge will be helpful.

Nevica

I'm not familiar with Silkypix, but assuming that it has the same basic funcitonality as most RAW handlers, what I recommend is open the RAW file in SilkyPix, do your basic editing and then save it as a .tif file, and do the rest of your editing/post-processing. Once you have the image exactly as you want it, save the final version as a high-quality .jpg.

The reason for this is that .jpg is what's known as a 'lossy' format. Each time you open, edit and save a .jpg, you lose information. .tif is lossless; you can open, edit and save as many times as you want, with absolutely no loss in IQ (except that which you cause ;) ), hence the reason .tif files are so large.

Use .jpg as a 'display' only format, and do all your work in either RAW or .tif, and you won't lose any information.

tirediron is absolutely correct about the format and adjustments.
One thing you may look into however (as with tirediron I am not familiar with Silkypix) but there is a newer .jpg format which is lossless.
The .jpg format in the Panasonic cameras has two levels IIRC ... I have a couple of them for point and shoot and my wife has the FZ20 model. They are fixed reduction to .jpg. They reduce the size about 1/2 in the first one and about 1/10 in the lowest setting depending on the image etc.
If you save in Silkypix, check at the bottom of the "Save As..." box and see if there is an option for a checkbox that shows "Lossless" and "Lossy" .jpg format.
If there is, then choose lossless. This will give a better .jpg save and will prevent loss of quality over time.
If Silkypix doesn't, then try the conversion in Irfanview or something and choose the Jpg2000 format which has the lossless compression algorithm.
RAW and TIFF are better to acquire and process but if you want to mail or post, use the .jpg and if you are concerned about loss over time, the go with the lossless compression .jpg2000
Hope it helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back