RAW processing using Photoshop 7

Harpua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fotki.com
I just took my first test shot in RAW format. I have no idea what I am doing so I am hoping for some guidance. When I open the photo in PS I get a box that shows the picture at 6% of the original size. I can increase it to 50%, but the preview box size does not change. The options I have are to change the white balance and to change the exposure comp. Am I missing something? Shouldn't I be able to do and see a lot more? Can I not do this in PS7?

I didn't know you could even open raw files in Photoshop 7. I thought the camera raw plugin was for CS and CS2. I would recommend Capture One, or Raw Shooter Essentials anyway.

Thanks Matt. And now for the dreaded question...are these programs free? My guess is that they are not. Are there any programs that are free that let me play with the RAW format. I would be willing to spend some money once I know if I will really use it, but I can't afford to drop the $ before knowing that. Thanks!

There was a RAW plugin for PS 7, no longer available. It was pretty limited, so that's probably what you have.

There are several other options available. Google "RAW converter" and you should find something that'll work for you.

C1 LE is $99. Raw shooter essentials is free, and has a pro version that costs money. The free version is plenty capable though. C1 is the better program in my opinion, but since it's not free, I would try raw shooter essentials if I were you.

What camera are you using? Your camera should have come with a raw converter that is probably pretty good. Check the disc. Fish around your manufacturer's site to see if you can download it if you can't find it at home. Your manufacturer's raw converter will be "best" because it is the only one that isn't reversed-engineered. The manufacturers won't share the complete code. All the other software makers (Adobe, PhaseOne, etc) effectively "hack" the raw conversion to get it right - but they're doing it pretty well these days.

Also, if you upgrade to CS2, you'll find that Adobe has developed a very good raw converter. However, Photoshop is such a resource hog, the last thing you want is yet another app open. And just to quibble with Digital Matt a little: Capture One is good, but really not intuitive. As such make sure you have someone show you how to run it best, or be prepared to spend a weekend trying stuff out until you get the hang of it. Considering Capture One LE (the "light" version) is $99, you should consider putting that money to an ugprade to CS2.

Thanks Iron Flatline. I am using a D70S. The software that came with it is called picture project. I don't see anything about Raw though. I must be looking in the wrong places. If anyone has this software and knows where I should look then I would really appreciate it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back