What's new

RAW question.....

dEARlEADER

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
1,312
Reaction score
1
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I import RAW (NEF) files.... are my camera settings completely unassociated with it??

In other words.... is there any point whatsoever in trying to get the camera settings right (white balance etc.) when shooting RAW? or will they all just be lost on import....

I'd like to shoot RAW.... but I don't want to have to edit every single picture I take... I would like to use my desired camera features (for sharpening, whitebalance, saturation etc.)... and only undo them if I mess up the shot...

thanks

oh... and another thing... what is better RAW or JPEG.... hahahahha:lmao:

**THIS IS NOT A RAW VS. JPEG THREAD**
 
You can shoot in raw and just convert to jpg without making any changes and from what I'm seeing it will have all the settings.
 
No, hes asking if he makes WB adjustments on the camera while in RAW will they make any difference? Will the adjustments be lost on import?
 
If he makes WB adjustments on the camera while in RAW will they make any difference? it will take the shot the way he has the shot setup. RAW is still the image created from the settings used. Everything you do in RAW will be kept when you take the shot as if you were shooting in jpg(trying not to start debate)

The only difference between settings used in RAW and settings used in JPG are the scientific differences between the two types of images and the fact that the image is not processed by the camera in RAW

Similar to black n white vs greyscale. this might not be the best comparison
 
Yes, your settings will still be associated with the RAW file as your 'as shot' settings.
 
I've read on this forum of people complaining about their RAW files are imported without much colour and/or sharpness....

I'm just wondering how this is possible if the RAW file starts off by using the camera's settings as adjusted by the user.....
 
I'm not claiming any one is better than the other and even noticeably different or not. What I use as my reason for using relates to what my company does.

If we have to OCR(optical character recognition) a document we will scan it in 300 DPI because more pixels are used to aid in the computer recognizing the letters better. You can scan in 200 DPI and OCR it but you will not have the same OCR confidence.

Now that I lost you. I'd rather look scientifically at the facts. I'm not saying someone can tell that a shot of mine is from a RAW originally or a JPG originally but because I'm relying on my computer to process the image and not the camera
 
I think it differs...depending on the software that you are using...and the settings that we are talking about.

WB, for example, will usually be adjusted to the 'As shot' value. The sharpness, saturation, sharpness etc. settings usually aren't applied to the image. I'm not sure if the RAW files reads the in-camera settings for those or not. With the RAW programs that I've used, you can set a default profile for your camera...so you can have those things pre-set...but either way, you can still adjust those things in the RAW software.
 
I think it differs...depending on the software that you are using...and the settings that we are talking about.

WB, for example, will usually be adjusted to the 'As shot' value. The sharpness, saturation, sharpness etc. settings usually aren't applied to the image. I'm not sure if the RAW files reads the in-camera settings for those or not. With the RAW programs that I've used, you can set a default profile for your camera...so you can have those things pre-set...but either way, you can still adjust those things in the RAW software.

Okay.... does anyone know of any software that uses ALL of the cameras settings when importing a RAW file?

I want to be able to set my camera w.b. to SHADE, Sharpness +1, Vivid Colour saturation, D-Lighting active.... and have ALL of these settings come through on the RAW import.... then... let's say my technique was wrong... I want to undo all of those in camera settings and start from scratch... how would I do this?
 
How about this?

One of the good things about good RAW software (Lightroom etc.)...is that you can apply settings groups of images.

So in your scenario, you could open Lightroom and then globally apply "SHADE, Sharpness +1, Vivid Colour saturation" to all the photos, with only a couple clicks.

If you don't think those are the right settings, the change it and apply that to all the images...or just to the ones that you want.

The point is that with good software, it is so very easy to set & change these things...that doing it in camera seems like a waste of time & effort.


I really didn't like shooting in RAW until I got RAW Shooter Essentials (sort a precursor to Lightroom). Now, it's very easy and more enjoyable.
 
You can change white balance, sharpness, saturation with the software t hat comes with your camera usually.

Start from scratch meaning 0 for everything?

You can modify the RAW to look as if you didn't do anything but if you took an image that was not sharp, not balanced not saturated, etc it wouldn't look as good as if you were shooting with generic settings that you added to it afterwards.
 
Can you do that in photoshop? The "global" stuff?
 
If your image is sharp to begin with you can make it sharper but if it wasn't sharp and you make it sharper it might look a bit funky without despeckle etc. Point here is it matters a lot to have the image the way you want it even if you know you're going to edit it. be at least 90% happy with the image. Don't be 40% happy and say well I can edit it.

Take the shot well to begin with and than mess around...Don't rely that the software will make everytihng perfect because it is after all based on logarithms programmed into the software and not a 100% fool proof design.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom