RAW vs JPEG Debate

I can see both sides, for an agency or something where you are using lights and photoshop you would naturally want to shoot raw. And actually the workflow is not any different editing wise then jpeg if you are using lightroom. Just you have to store the raws and batch what you need out of them, ie psd, tiff, or jpeg.

I have expiramented in certain situations and found good results with jpg too, I once tried to shoot both at once, the file naming confusion that ensued was nothing short of monumental, Now I just shoot raw and I have gotten so fast with batching similar shots that its ALMOST as fast as jpeg processing, the only real thing that takes more time is the color balance.

besides that you only save time if you just shoot jpeg and do NOTHING to the shots afterwards but give the files away.

If you are doing a 5K wedding, take the extra few hours and process the raws. Its the best way.

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for a few months now, and it's been a great resource (not to mention some VERY interesting discussions!). I finally decided to sign up because I just had to comment on this thread.

KUDOS TO ALL INVOLVED!!!!! This is the most rational, calm, logical, polite Raw/Jpeg thread I have ever seen! It's very refreshing to see this issue discussed without descending into name calling, yelling, and just plain stupidness.

A job well done, everybody.

Jason

i shoot raw for important shots but just snaps i use jpeg fine or normal

wow, i would write what i do, but you might as well just reread sabbath999's first post(excluding the zoo/subject matter) i use jpeg almost exclusively because i take tons of pictures of each subject and i too delete most while there on my camera. and i also agree that if i were doing portraits weddings etc i would use raw.

i dont have the time to go through every pictrue and set wb etc.

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for a few months now, and it's been a great resource (not to mention some VERY interesting discussions!). I finally decided to sign up because I just had to comment on this thread.

KUDOS TO ALL INVOLVED!!!!! This is the most rational, calm, logical, polite Raw/Jpeg thread I have ever seen! It's very refreshing to see this issue discussed without descending into name calling, yelling, and just plain stupidness.

A job well done, everybody.

Jason

First, welcome aboard Jason. I'm glad you found us, and that you found us both entertaining and informative. Second, the folks here can be very opinionated, I being one of them. But we also try to be respectful of others and the mods do a good job keeping it that way. Sometimes too good a job, but that's OK as long as we all can say whats on our minds without going over the top. Again, glad you found us, and hope to see you participate with us.

I shot a combo RAW + JPEG in Peru. Two weeks of shooting and 2,300 pictures later, I'll be damned if I'm editing every one of those. JPEG FTW.

Just edit the good ones, keep the rest in JPG. At least you have the RAWs if you need them, and you can delete them if you don't.

Exactly. No need to edit the crap shots. RAW wins. The end. Please close the thread now. :sexywink:

I shoot in both raw and jpeg and sometimes both at the same time. If it is an important shot then I shoot raw but if speed is important and the end result is web or small format news or public relations folder then I shoot jpeg. I can also edit jpeg in 16 bit and automatically save in 8 bit jpeg so that I do not lose colour information. There are also approaches to doing jpeg enlargements with extremely good quality. If necessary, there are approaches to getting pretty close to RAW quality with jpegs.

skieur

I'll be on a shoot all weekend so be sure to keep this pointless thread going.

Don't worry it will still be going on and on and on,
As long as we arer foolish enough to keep feeding it :D

Enjoy the shoot

it will still be going on and on and on,
As long as we arer foolish enough to keep feeding it :D

Since this was so fun, I'm strongly considering starting up another thread so we can discuss whether Canon or Nikon is the "better" camera, and maybe another one about whether Tamron is better than Sigma. I'm still confused about which way to go. Please help me. :)

I have a Leica Digilux 1 that shoots JPG and TIFF.

So there.

Most reactions

Back