Yet another raw vs. Jpeg question.

I use an Epson V850 to scan 4x5 negatives and transparencies. I can adjust the settings to suit the type of 4x5 film, and I always scan both TIFF and JPEG files. For me, the differences in film types determine the scanning software used for the task. All software makers use slightly different algorithms, and I choose the software to fit the film. The TIFF becomes the digital "negative/transparency" file, and the JPEG files are used for "quick and dirty" editing for prints.
Thanks! I checked out the V850 and I am going to pick one up. That will allow me to buy a 4 x 5 large format camera I have been eyeing at my local brick and mortar store. Right now I shoot 120 film, mostly B&W and scan on my old Epson V500. The D850 will open up 4 x 5 to me.

I have discovered some unknown to me variables when digitizing B&W negatives with a DSLR.

My setup was to mount the camera on a tripod use the zoom lens that came with the camera and shoot in the "auto" settings. the digitized negatives always seemed flat and the contrast had to be corrected in post processing.

To improve the situation I did the following.
* I switched to the RAW format because I was able to down load the photos into Photo Shop as PNG rather than JPG.
* I change to a 50 mm lens from my Pentax film camera.
* I switched the DSLR to all manual controls, when I discovered that the auto setting was shooting at 3200 ISO.
* When shot at an ISO of 200, with an aperture of f8 and a shutter speed of 1/5 sec. the negatives here much better, requiring little of no post processing.

In leu of a 4x5 scanner, which is on my list, this process will have to suffice.

No surprise what a longer exposure and a low ISO will do for saturation and colors. Or thanks to your post, B&W negatives. I'll try to remember that if I ever go into the deep dark cabinets full of B&W negatives.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back