Ive done similar things. Burn to DVD the RAW files, create a TIF of any file I want to on my HD. With Lightroom all my RAW files are only added after burning them to a DVD. The DVDs are like my negative storage files, never destroyed.
Years later Ive gone back and re printed a negative, because learning a lot in the meantime, have been able to use some creative ideas to make a much better print.
You can do things with negatives or raw files you can not do with a TIF or JPG and keeping them costs very little. Keeping only the catalog for Lightroom on the HD, takes a lot less space. Naming the DVD with an appropriate name and folders, means being able to locate the specific one easily. All my DVDs contain the date and the folder contains time of day. Scanning through images using keywords in Lightroom makes it easy to find that info.
Once, almsot 15 year after a sitting I did for a family with 8 children. Also shot each child individually in case the group was not satisfactory. They bought only the group shot.
One of them was killed coming home from school on a bicycle.
They got in touch with me to see if I still had the individual child.
Made them an 11x14 which was almost lifesize of the face, then gave it to them. There was no way I'd have charged for it.
We never know how important one negative or original will be.
Because some ancestors felt the same way I do, today we have over 2000 family photos on our family website from the latest newborns, back to Tintypes and the Civil War.