Status
Not open for further replies.

sapper6fd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Newb question here,

What are the advantages to saving images in a RAW format? Other than it filling up my memory card in half the time, what are the advantages to doing it?

Newb question here,

What are the advantages to saving images in a RAW format? Other than it filling up my memory card in half the time, what are the advantages to doing it?

Google it. I like RAW because I have so much freedom with the edit in Adobe Camera Raw. Your camera will automatically tweak a JPEG I believe, to make it appear as the camera thinks it should. I was told there are adjustments made to the image that you don't even realize. RAW is exactly what you see as you press the shutter, given your WB and whatnot is set.

Someone else might be able to offer more precise information.

Short answer:

Shooting JPEG means that your camera takes the RAW image then processes it in camera down to a JPEG.

Shooting RAW keeps all the raw data the camera uses to create the image (hence, RAW). This means you can use software on your computer to modify the image with more accuracy and with greater options than just starting with a JPEG.

You can shoot RAW then convert to JPEG on your computer, but you can't convert to RAW from JPEG.

I shoot 100% RAW.

Not another one of these... use the search function on the forum please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back