RAW vs. JPG

After converting it to the TIFF file can I save the image into a JPEG format after all post processing?

Yes, saving it as tif or PSD as Big Mike mentioned, becomes your "master", from which you can make prints, save in Jpeg or other formats, for e-mailing or web display. Just make sure that when you make any changes to your master, ie. resizing etc. that you do a "save as" which will keep your original master in it's original form and allow you to change to another format. My workflow includes creating a tif master as well as a dng from the raw. Then I save them, including the raw files on 3- different hard drives for back-up.

A very good friend of mine wants me to take some pictures of her children this weekend for Christmas Cards. I was wondering if it would be better to shoot in RAW or JPG?
:D

There are many good reasons to shoot in RAW format, but in this case, I'd recommend going with JPEG. Experimenting is fine and all, but not when the shoot if for someone else, and for a specific reason. Go with what you know, and experiment with RAW when you can afford to get it wrong.

There are many good reasons to shoot in RAW format, but in this case, I'd recommend going with JPEG. Experimenting is fine and all, but not when the shoot if for someone else, and for a specific reason. Go with what you know, and experiment with RAW when you can afford to get it wrong.

I'm in complete opposition to this statement. Use jpeg when you can't find a pen and need to copy down a phone number from a billboard.

Have a look at that link I posted before for my full reasoning.

Nothing like a practical application to get you in to something new. As far as making exposures goes it's the same practise but your giving up the benefits of RAW if you go with JPEG

Shoot in RAW + JPG mode because everytime I tell myself I'm gonig to do RAW, I try and process it and I am simply not good enough to match my cameras JPG conversion, in all honesty, not all RAW conversion is easy. I actually need someone to teach me a good workflow for RAW and what converter to use. If you convert from RAW with no processing you'll get a flat, undersaturated, grainy image, t has the potential to be better than JPG but depending on the user, it also has the potential to be worse.

Shoot in RAW + JPG mode because everytime I tell myself I'm gonig to do RAW, I try and process it and I am simply not good enough to match my cameras JPG conversion, in all honesty, not all RAW conversion is easy. I actually need someone to teach me a good workflow for RAW and what converter to use. If you convert from RAW with no processing you'll get a flat, undersaturated, grainy image, t has the potential to be better than JPG but depending on the user, it also has the potential to be worse.

So add some saturation. As for grainy? I dunno maybe you're shooting with ISO set too high.

Raw is way faster to process in bulk. I used to work in a studio and 100 raw files would open up in seconds compared to minutes for the same amount of jpegs. You can also apply pp to many images at the same time and export them all at the same time.

However I'm not sure how this all ties in with Elements.

Umm...you sure?

Opening 100 RAW files on a computer is over a gigabyte of data...
Opening 100 JPEG files is probably less than 100 megabytes of data...
???

Most reactions

New Topics

Back