RB67 Owners: Mirror Lock-Up Issue

frXnz kafka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm using two separate shutter release cables to use the mirror lock up, and I'm having an issue. Here's what I'm doing:

Release cable into the lens, release cable into the shutter release on the camera body. I first activate the release on the body, and the mirror goes up. I then activate the lens release, and the shutter closes after the appropriate amount of time.

The problem I'm having is this. Between raising the mirror, and releasing the shutter, the shutter remains open. So, for example, if I wait 1 second between releasing the mirror and releasing the shutter for a 1/2 second exposure, I end up exposing the film for 1.5 seconds.

Is this a problem with the lens, or am I don't something wrong?

NO, the shutter should close down as the mirror raises. If it stays open there is something wrong with the lens.

Try firing the lens off camera to see if it stays open as you advance the pins?

Did you change the switch on the lense from "N" to "M"?

NO, the shutter should close down as the mirror raises. If it stays open there is something wrong with the lens.

Try firing the lens off camera to see if it stays open as you advance the pins?

How do I fire the lens off camera? I tried using the release cable where it usually goes and the lens doesn't fire.

Did you change the switch on the lense from "N" to "M"?

Yes, the knob is set to M.

To fire the lens off camera... Put the lens back to N. See if it is cocked, the 2 large pins at the sides should be at the green dots. If not turn them to the red dots n it will cock n rest at the green dots.

Now to fire it, push in the small silver pin at 12 o'clock, then turn the 2 large pins away from the green dots as you look through the glass. AS you turn the pins the shutter will close adn finally fire.

When in M adn you just fired the mirror, the shutter will first close, then it will wait for you to squeeze the cable, it will fire normally.

If it isn't closing, then your lens needs service, CLA. The usual problem is old lube has to be cleaned n it get a wash n lube. Another common problem is the small spring that returns the shutter to it's closed position has either slipped off the nub or is broken.

Just to give you a heads up... before mounting the lens backl on the body, be sure the camera and the lkens are cocked or you will jam the camera n need some tutoring on how to unlock it without breaking it. If you ever jam the camera... STOP what you are doing n put it away till you ask us how to fix it. There is a simple trick that will take you a minute to un jam it with no damage at all. Just DON'T EVER FORCE IT!

Alright so, just fired off a bunch of shots, looking through the back of the camera.

I looks like the shutter is trying to close, but can't quite make it. Sometimes it makes it all the way down to a pinhole, most of the time it gets stuck halfway.

So I'm guessing it needs a CLA. I'm gonna run a roll through tonight to see if the shutter speeds are accurate without MLU.

Don't bother running any film through if it isn't closing properly. Speeds don't matter at this point, it needs to be cleaned and adjusted regardless.

Which lens is that... Non-C, C, NB, KL?

50mm f/4.5, non-C

Weird thing is I've shot a couple rolls with it, and they've all come out pretty well. Any idea how much a CLA would cost?

CLA would probably cost around $90.

Try sitting the lens in the sun for an hour n see if it works better? Sometimes that will loosen the old crud, but it will still need service as it drives you crazy with lost shots.

BTW

Last edited:
Interesting, so somebody just overtightened the damn thing when reassembling it, huh? I've got to find a 500, they don't seem to come up very often these days. I'd probably have better luck finding a 500 tele tessar for the hassy.

Woops, looks like I missed whatever Paul edited out :(

BTW I've temporarily solved the problem by buying a 90mm, haha.

Another guy had a problem with a locked lens on his RB and I mistakenly posted his cure here so I edited it out.

Did you ever get the lens CLAed? That is a really nice lens n worth the price of the cleaning.

Most reactions

Back