Re-Coating?

Steve5D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a very, very minor scratch almost smack-dab in the middle of the front element of my 70-200mm f/2.8L.

It's not affecting images at all, so far as I can tell, so I'm not too freaked out about it. That said, though, does anyone know if Canon offers re-coating of lens elements? I've no desire or thought to sell it and, like I said, it's not affecting the images.

It just irks the Hell out of me when I look at it...

same exact problem on my nikon 180mm f/2.8 AF lens.
never inquired to nikon about the issue since it didnt show in pictures.
would be interested to find out now though if its actually possible, or if your just stuck with it.

I've never heard of that being done, and I would think that if it could be done, it would be prohibitively expensive, since I would think the lens would have to be dis-assembled, the element stripped of it's coatings, etc. I'm guessing it would be cheaper to have a new front element installed, but even that I would think would make it not worth the cost.

Yeah, that's kinda' what I was thinking.

Just interested in whether or not it was an option. As soon as I get to where I can get reliable phone and/or internet service, I'll check with Canon...

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office

In the Model field, if you start typing 70-200, it will come up. In the second step they ask for information I didn't have and didn't feel like making up (serial number, etc) - but go ahead and fill it out and see what they say. It does not appear that lens re-coating is a "standard" repair, but I'd assume they'll still give you a quote for it.

Like the others, I don't really expect it to be cost effective, but there's only one way to find out...

edit
Just read the part about your internet connection issues ... try that link when you're back online.

I'd bet that the lenses are coated in a high tech 'clean room' factory type environment. For that lens, it may be in a primary factory in Japan. I really doubt that it's something they would do at any of their repair facilities. (I could be wrong).

I'd guess that replacing the front element with a new part is the recommended course of action.

Lensblogger: Front Element Scratches

More than likely it would be cheaper to have them replace the front element rather than re-coat the existing element. Re-coating is not something that would normally be done at a service center. It would have to go back to Japan and would in all probability be quite expensive.

Most reactions

Back