What's new

Re: Dance Class

JoshuaSimPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
1,484
Reaction score
96
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So here are the photos of my parent’s dance class lessons, I took in the feedback from others and here are the results!
$D1.webp$D2.webp$D3.webp$D4.webp$D5.webp$D6.webp$D7.webp
 
I like the second on the top. Highlights are a bit bright, but they frame the feet/legs nicely.
 
Really effective use of rear-curtain sync, as an idea.

Not in love with the backgrounds, and there's a bit of a spray-and-pray methodology here (not criticizing you, it's pretty much just how you gotta do this kind of thing) so most of the work is in the editing (i.e. throwing away).

I like the second one the best. I like the very low angle, and the minimized blur. Some blur is good, but I am liking better the ones with a relatively small blur, and then tack sharp shoes nailed in there by the flash.

This is a great concept. Were I you, I'd shoot it a bunch more and work on ideas, there's potential for a really strong series of photographs of this sort.
 
Yes, the background was very annoying, I couldn’t really help it at all. Thx for the feedback
 
I also tried some panning but that didn't work with their slow movements as they were doing ballroom:I
 
I like the ones where I can see the blur and the feet.
 
Joshua, I like the second one too.

Give your images room to breathe. The way they are presented here makes them extremely difficult to differentiate and to isolate for CC/feedback. FlickR hosting is usually a lot nicer than direct attachment hosting.

The hosted images are presented bigger at first look. No clicking and no waiting. No jumbled mess.

For a photography forum, I wish the attachments here "featured" photographs better.
 
Nice effects and exposures! I really like 2 and 5 the best. But, um... your dad needs to get out of those dress trainers and into some cha-cha shoes!

What equipment did you use for this, besides the D5100?
 
Thx guys, I always wondered why my pics didn’t look like others. I will look into flickr. I still used my 18-55, but I couldn’t use my tripod as I had to tape the lesson with it. I had to hold my cam still for 1 second give or take. That’s why for number 2, it has so much blur as I placed my camera on the ground, and the glares are caused as there was very harsh sunlight reflecting of the boards
 
That’s why for number 2, it has so much blur as I placed my camera on the ground, and the glares are caused as there was very harsh sunlight reflecting of the boards

That glare doesn't bother me. Actually, as jowensphoto points out, it seems to draw attention to the dancer's feet quite well. I hope you don't mind, but I played with a crop and made some minor adjustments to the contrast and highlights.

$D2.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom