Ready to graduate!

htc8p

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everybody, my name is herbert from manila philippines. I have been taking photos since 2006. I am still a noob but i definitely feel ready to graduate. So I hope you guys and girls can help me. My mind is kind of messed up right now so lets me just dive right it.

I see photography like a masters degree. You can take a class but the best teacher is experience. You gotta immerse yourself in it and be around people who take interest.

I have been using a P&S camera ever since they started coming out. right now im using canon ixus 750IS. i love it. it has served me well but i have outgrown it. and now, looking for something to help me grow.

I shoot 4 yo children, babies, scenery, parties, macros (food, jewelry)

problems with ixus:

lens = the baby legs look kind of out of proportion with the torso
baby is blurry = i dont want to use flash photography (it messes up the colors)
hands have to be very steady to shoot crisp picture of scenery (without flash too) sometimes im in the shade sometimes im under the sun
i always use M
i cannot manually change aperture and shutter speed. (only +/- exposure)
fastest shutter speed is 1"

my brother uses a nikon slr d700 i think but its too heavy and bulky.

im looking for something like a "prosumer" not a dlsr but also not a P&S
or am i going the wrong way and just go straight to dlsr. but i dont like heavy and bulky.

where do i go from here?

Well if you want something that will give you control and good picture, something that is geared toward the camera fan but not too big or baulky then you fave few options.
You can go mirrorless, P&S or maybe the Canon M which is the smallest DSLR in the market but still has very good performance.

I would recommend the Canon G15 which really is made for the photography fans who want to carry a smaller body camera, its a P&S but really is like a small DLSR but with a fixed lens and a smaller sensor.
It has all the features a DSLR has like Aperture, Shutter, ISO and Manual modes with 2 wheels to control both aperture and shutter in manual mode. Its got a fantastic good fast lens and I highly recommend it, it is also easier on the pocket compared to the DLSR.

im not familiar with sensor. but isnt it better to get a bigger sensor?

im doing a little research what do you think of the nikon v1 or v2

or the canon EOS 100

Last edited:
Consider Micro Four Thirds. I'm long time Nikon user (more than 10 years, many cameras from point and shoot to D700 currently) and I'm ready to jump ship. IQ is good enough for me from the smaller sensor.

so it looks like canon is maintaining its momentum? i have been a canon user all my life from powershot A series to ixus twice

and what cameras use micro four thirds lenses?

Last edited:

or the canon EOS 100

Canon M which I already recomended is the Canon 100 and its a full DSLR in a smaller package, very good, very recomended.
If this size is good for you then it is the one I would recomend.

Nikon 1 is a mirrorless camera, also good camera, but I persoanlly would go with the Canon G15 and not the Nikon 1.
I was in the same dilama when I bought my Canon G15 but both choices are good.

I believe the sensor on the Canon G15 and Nikon 1 is about the same size.

or the canon EOS 100

Canon M which I already recomended is the Canon 100 and its a full DSLR in a smaller package, very good, very recomended.

Nikon 1 is a mirrorless camera, also good camera, but I persoanlly would go with the Canon G15 and not the Nikon 1.

Canon G15 has 1/1.7 sensor. Nikon 1 has 1 inch sensor.

Hi i have another concern. i do not have photographer hands(meaning they are not as steady as i want them to be) so what camera can help with this too? also i dont plan on using a tripod in the near future.

how about fps?

how about olympus omd?

canon 100 or canon M is one definite choice already

Last edited:

or the canon EOS 100

Canon G15 has 1/1.7 sensor. Nikon 1 has 1 inch sensor.
I stand correct then, either way I made my choice few months ago, did my research and found that for me the G15 is the better choice and I am glad to say its a fantastic camera for those who want a small DSLR like P&S, I use it as high as 3200ISO when needed with satisfying results.
Its lens has a range of 1.8-2.8 so we are talking about a lot of light which means that in most cases I can leave the ISO in a much lower settings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back