READY TO PULL THE TRIGGER BUT WHICH LENS?

ZIN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am ready to place my order from BH for the Canon XTI but which lens should I get instead of the kit one? Just a good starter lens that may be better than just getting the kit lens that comes with it. I am more interested at this time of year of indoor shots of family and then I will buy another lens come spring for outdoors. So any choices would be great. thanks

What's your budget?

The 17-85mm IS, is a good upgrade to the kit lens, but the aperture isn't any bigger, so indoor shots of the kids won't be any better.

The 50mm F1.8 is good for indoor shots...and it's cheap. But you may feel limited with just one focal length, and 50mm may be a bit long on that camera, if you don't have room to back up.

The ideal choice, would be the 17-55 F2.8 IS, but it costs more than the camera.

Id say if this is your forst DSLR, then go ahead and get it with the Kit lens, and maybe throw in the $90 50mm f1.8. Even though the kit lens isnt that great, it still allows you to experiment with wide angle shooting, without having to pay to much up front. That how ive done it, get some decent lenses to start out with, and as you learn and grow, then figure out what you like to shoot most, and buy better lens later on based on your shooting habits.

Id say if this is your forst DSLR, then go ahead and get it with the Kit lens, and maybe throw in the $90 50mm f1.8. Even though the kit lens isnt that great, it still allows you to experiment with wide angle shooting, without having to pay to much up front. That how ive done it, get some decent lenses to start out with, and as you learn and grow, then figure out what you like to shoot most, and buy better lens later on based on your shooting habits.

I agree.. done the same thing.

Look at GwagDesigns equip list... the kit lens, the 50mm f/1.8, and a cheap 70-300. That's an excellent starter kit that allows you to do so much for so little cost. as he said, you can play with different angles cheaply, and then eventually step up to a nicer lens based on what you actually need.

I recently bought a Rebel XT body with the 50mm 1.8, and I've found that the 50mm is too zoomed in. I'd get the kit lens to start and then figure out what to get next after using that setup for a while.

Most reactions

Back