Ready to upgrade!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Adadrian, May 7, 2020.

1. ronlane

ronlane What's next? Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    How is not having APS-C glass a drawback??? The full-frame glass is better anyway. More expensive but better. In general for mirrorless, Nikon is behind on glass. Canon is winning that race or at the very least gaining fast on Sony and is poised to blow by them. However, Canon is still playing catch up on the bodies.

That being said we all know that it is more about the glass than it is about the body.

2. stk

stk No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If I bought a Z50 (a small APS-C camera) I would really like to be able to buy small, good and not to expensive glass. I would also like there to be a fast wide angle and a fast standard zoom with a focal range suited for the smaller sensor. This does't exist. The use of an adapter will add more bulk and fiddling than I would like.

When it comes to the full frame Z-mount glass from Nikon, I'm really pleased. If Canon is winning, Nikon is still producing great lenses...just not for APS-C.

3. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Adapt.

4. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If history repeats itself, which I think it will, neither Nikon nor Canon will have a full line of Pro level lenses for their APS-C/DX mirrorless cameras. Neither have that now with their APS-C dSLRs. That is why I had to get a FF/FX 70-200/4, to use on my Nikon DX D7200, there was NO equivalent DX lens. They have a few good APS-C lenses, but for the most part the APS-C lenses are "consumer grade" lenses. As for APS-C primes, the options are even worse.

I was considering upgrading from DX to FX, simply because of the lack of DX lenses that I wanted.
    If I have to use an FX lens, why not an FX camera also?

As for the Z50.
    What I do not like was Nikon's decision to put IBIS in the FX Z cameras (Z6/7) but not in the DX Z camera (Z50).
    That means if you want VR/IS, on a Z50, you have to get a lens with VR. And unless Nikon puts VR into the FX Z lenses, for dual IS, you won't get it with the FX Z lenses. If you put a FX Z lens on a Z50, you have no VR/IS :( So you are stuck with the DX Z lenses.
    I hope Nikon fixes this by putting IBIS in the next DX Z camera. Just as Canon did with their second R camera.

Canon did even worse.
    Their APS-C mirrorless (M50) uses a different lens mount than their FF mirrorless R. So you cannot even use the FF R lenses on the APS-C M50.

IMHO, for an advance amateur, Nikon and Canon APS-C lines had been and will continue to be a disappointment, with their limited line of APS-C lenses.

So look at the Z50 with your eyes open.

5. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    And the issue is what, exactly?

What is your problem with using "FX" lenses on a "DX" camera? I do it quite regularly. No Problemo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No problem with using a FX lens.
    The PROBLEM was finding a DX lens (or ANY lens) that was the DX eqivalent of the FX 70-200 = 45-135mm/2.8 lens.
    And without the weight of a FX 70-200/2.8.
    Until recently, with the Tamron 35-150/2.8-4 (FX lens), there wasn't one. The Sigma 50-150/2.8 had been discontinued.
    So at the time, my only options were the FX Nikon 24-120/4 or 70-200/4.
    I went with the FX 70-200/4. And yes, there were MANY times when I wished I had a wider short end, and wondered if I should not have gotten the 24-120/4.
    If I had to do it again today, I would probably get the Tamron 35-150/2.8-4.

7. beagle100

beagle100 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

I agree - go mirrorless
    and mirrorless can easily use DSLR lenses
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless