Really stupid question/observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't using a priority mode give you just as much control as manual though, just in a different way?

I am still a newbie, but I thought that if you use for example apperture priority mode, you can control the shutter speed by changing the ISO, and adjust over / under exposure to your liking by using exposure compensation. To me it feels like this achieves close to the same results as manual, but faster? You don't have to worry about correct exposure, and if you still don't get the exposure you want you can adjust by using Exposure Compensation or am I mistaking?

(may be my lack of experience talking here)

No. Not really.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Doesn't using a priority mode give you just as much control as manual though, just in a different way?

I am still a newbie, but I thought that if you use for example apperture priority mode, you can control the shutter speed by changing the ISO, and adjust over / under exposure to your liking by using exposure compensation. To me it feels like this achieves close to the same results as manual, but faster? You don't have to worry about correct exposure, and if you still don't get the exposure you want you can adjust by using Exposure Compensation or am I mistaking?

The answer is yes and no.

There are times that shooting manual make more sense.
For example, you need to shoot about hundred products and they are about the same size. So you setup the environment and the lights. Then with the camera on tripod, set the aperture (give enough DoF), shutter speed, ISO value and light power manually. I usually focus the subject manually or AF the subject then set it to manual focus afterward. With that, all you need is put the subject in the desire spot and "Click". After you done with the first one, replace the subject and "Click" again.
With that, I can go through hundred of items pretty quick.

Same thing apply to constant environment.

I agree with you that exposure compensation works great. However, knowing where to spot meter with exposure works even better for me. i.e. day time shooting outdoor with grass field. I will spot meter the grass with exposure lock and then recompose and shoot. Or spot meter a lighter skin person's face and then recompose. If I spot meter a darker skin person, I may need to use exposure compensation.

I learned with manual so I'm used to it. Now I use aperture and shutter priority the most but still use manual when I think it's the best choice (like bracketing and panoramas), when I'm using the Nikkormat, or when I have an old AI-S Nikkor mounted up.

The only full auto I use is the transmission in our truck.

If I'm in control of the light, or the light isn't changing, I'll probably shoot in Manual. Otherwise, I'm in aperture priority. I often bracket my shots if I'm taking pictures of static scenes while traveling, because matrix metering and bracketing is the fastest way to get the shot and move on, and I can just choose the picture later to figure out which image in the bracketed set I want to edit.

The answer is yes and no.

There are times that shooting manual make more sense.
For example, you need to shoot about hundred products and they are about the same size. So you setup the environment and the lights. Then with the camera on tripod, set the aperture (give enough DoF), shutter speed, ISO value and light power manually. I usually focus the subject manually or AF the subject then set it to manual focus afterward. With that, all you need is put the subject in the desire spot and "Click". After you done with the first one, replace the subject and "Click" again.
With that, I can go through hundred of items pretty quick.

Same thing apply to constant environment.

I agree with you that exposure compensation works great. However, knowing where to spot meter with exposure works even better for me. i.e. day time shooting outdoor with grass field. I will spot meter the grass with exposure lock and then recompose and shoot. Or spot meter a lighter skin person's face and then recompose. If I spot meter a darker skin person, I may need to use exposure compensation.
So basically, in a studio Manual is the way to go, and for wildlife / landscapes / sports (the fields that interest me most) it may be a good idea to use priority modes because the lighting isn't constant? (something as subtle as a cloud passing in front of the sun can make a huge difference I recon)

So basically, in a studio Manual is the way to go, and for wildlife / landscapes / sports (the fields that interest me most) it may be a good idea to use priority modes because the lighting isn't constant? (something as subtle as a cloud passing in front of the sun can make a huge difference I recon)
I would say go with what you are proficient at :D. If that is manual all the time then do it! There is no better/best.

I would say go with what you are proficient at :D. If that is manual all the time then do it! There is no better/best.

I get what you're saying, but I would say go with what you feel/find is best. Work from a position where you can shoot in most of the modes of the camera (priority modes and manual at the very least - program and auto are optional). From there you can then easily choose what suits you best in the given situation and lighting.

I get what you're saying, but I would say go with what you feel/find is best. Work from a position where you can shoot in most of the modes of the camera (priority modes and manual at the very least - program and auto are optional). From there you can then easily choose what suits you best in the given situation and lighting.

Well that is basically what I was saying ;) Do what you are best at/ what works for you.

I get more confused using A, S, and P modes. I'm always like, wtf is this thing doing?!

I get more confused using A, S, and P modes. I'm always like, wtf is this thing doing?!

So, basically, you're blaming the equipment when you don't understand why it's doing what it's doing? Have you read the manual?

Automatic and Program modes are annoying when you know what you're doing which is why once you know the controls of the camera you can often leave them behind; I'm not sure what S mode is.

Aperture and Shutter priority are simple - its automatic balancing of the exposure to 0 on the exposure meter (or +- from 0 using exposure compensation) based upon the meter reading. If that's al you're doing in manual mode then the priority modes will do that just as well and faster.

So, basically, you're blaming the equipment when you don't understand why it's doing what it's doing? Have you read the manual?
No its not that. But if you are shooting in a priority mode you DON'T KNOW what the camera will do. There are probable choices but sometimes the camera will do something wonky and your like "wtf?". I am pretty much strictly a natural light shooter, and metering is SO important in complicated lighting situations. I need to know what my camera is going to do, I can't leave it to chance.

Full Auto mode. CH. Spray and Pray.

No its not that. But if you are shooting in a priority mode you DON'T KNOW what the camera will do. There are probable choices but sometimes the camera will do something wonky and your like "wtf?". I am pretty much strictly a natural light shooter, and metering is SO important in complicated lighting situations. I need to know what my camera is going to do, I can't leave it to chance.

If you understand your camera, you'll understand what your camera is going to do. The only thing I could credit would be things like the D800's tendency to weigh the area around the focus point more heavily in matrix metering mode. But guess what? If you don't understand your camera, you're gonna get surprised by its decisions whether you're in Aperture Priority or manual, because you're basing your own manual decisions on the same metering system. It's not like it's going to operate any differently just because you're in a different shooting mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back