Really stupid serious question

swiftparkour94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Before I say anything, I respect ALL religions, but after my Mormon friend told me that for missionary work that they get funded their needs, I had thought up a really good question. Let's say I'm a Mormon, they give bikes for me and my missionary partner so that we can share the churches word. Now, what if I were to just leave without notifying anyone, taking the bike with me? Can't see it as stealing if it was given to me but in my heart I'd see it as wrong. Oh, and let's not forget maybe a backpack and some nice dress clothes :) so is something like this illegal or legal?

in·teg·ri·ty/inˈtegritē/
Noun

The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.

Rotanimod said:
[h=3]in·teg·ri·ty/inˈtegritē/
[/h]

[*]The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.

Fancy words or morals aside, let's say I'm an undercover criminal

I wouldn't trust a <Moderated> as far as i could throw them

Opinions are like a.... everyone has one, but they don't always need to be shared!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if it could stand in court, but you could perhaps be charged with fraud? You would be misrepresenting your intentions in order to get free stuff.
Fraud: A false representation of a matter of fact&#8212;whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of what should have been disclosed&#8212;that deceives and is intended to deceive another so that the individual will act upon it to her or his legal injury.

Fraud must be proved by showing that the defendant's actions involved five separate elements:
(1) a false statement of a material fact,

Your claiming to want to joina nd become a mormon. Check
(2) knowledge on the part of the defendant that the statement is untrue,

You know you dont want to join other than for the bike. Check

(3) intent on the part of the defendant to deceive the alleged victim,

You are doing this intentionally to get a bike and clothes. Check

(4) justifiable reliance by the alleged victim on the statement,

If they give a bike then they relied on your statement that you wanted to join. Check

(5) injury to the alleged victim as a result.

loss of property (bike clothes...) Check.

Looks to me you would be in trouble.

Of course, if you join and stay for 6 months and change your mind, they would have a hard time proving to a jury that you did it for the free stuff. Quit within a week, good luck proving you didn't. Where's the line? Who knows. Even thinking of doing this... read the integrity posts above.

Too funny... but if Bell Canada deliberately tells me I'm going to get 100 MBS and it slows down to 50 over the dinner hour, that's not fraud, even though it meets all the criteria. Integrety is what people must have so corporations can rip them off.

I'm pretty sure they've already got safeguards in place against people who would seek to abuse this.
I suspect you'll find you'd have to give a lot of time to attending meetings, events, discussions etc... just to move up the internal ranks enough to get to the stage where you're considered viable for spreading the word. By which point all that time you've donated would likely have paid for a bike easily if you'd gotten a small part-time job in those same hours.

They'll likely also have measures for gaining the return of loaned items if you do happen to leave, plus even if you did leave they'd have your address.

Too funny... but if Bell Canada deliberately tells me I'm going to get 100 MBS and it slows down to 50 over the dinner hour, that's not fraud, even though it meets all the criteria. Integrety is what people must have so corporations can rip them off.

I'd check the contract ;) Chances are whilst they advertise a maximum possible download speed of 100MBS the contract that you sign and agree to will have statements and measures in place to account for reduced speeds during peek hours and other similar clauses to cover themselves.

I think that's embezzlement. Think of the teller or bank president who is allowed to handle the money in the course of their work, but not to take it home.

yes it is stealing. If I loan someone my car and they just take off with it forever it is stealing. Same thing with a bike. Is this some sort of plan you have to get a free bike :confused:

And THAT is what concerns you most with all that is happening in the world today !!!!!

I wouldn't trust a <Moderated> as far as i could throw them

Substitute any other identifiable group for 'mormon' in this statement and realize how bigoted it sounds.

How disappointing.

Please DO NOT quote inappropriate comments.

so is something like this illegal or legal?

Fancy words or morals aside, let's say I'm an undercover criminal

1. Since when does a 9-letter, 4-syllable word quality as "fancy?

2. By definition, a criminal is one who breaks the law. So, one would assume you wouldn't care if it were legal or not, and therefore wouldn't be asking this inane question.

Bored at work?

Most reactions

Back