What's new

Reasonably Priced Timelapse Rail System?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
4,057
Reaction score
230
Location
Baltimore
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. I have been looking a bit into making more timelapses lately. The one's I've already made can be seen at markwjr1's Channel - YouTube if you're interested. But I can't seem to really enjoy the idea of making more without being able to add the dynamics that a rail system would give me. I really love the ones produced by Dynamic Perception LLC, Open-Source TimeLapse Motion Control Systems , but they run at the hefty price of $900. And that's before the need of buying 2 good, sturdy tripods and a good tripod head. Are there any other reputable systems out there for, well, not nearly that amount of money?

Thanks,
Mark
 
Looks like a pretty simple thing to home-brew; all you need is a platform, some wheels, tracks, rack & pinion and stepper-motor and controller. Plywood should be fine for the platform, the wheels can be anything from dolly wheels to skateboard trucks. 6061 aluminum 'L' would work fine for the tracks... The rack and pinion could be found at a scrap-yard, or purchased from somewhere like McMaster-Carr. The stepper-motor they show on the website you've linked to looks an awful lot like the sort of thing that you get on those cheap, off-shore CNC mills, and they will sell you the controller for $230. I would say, all-in you could make a pretty decent rig for <$400.
 
..what does that have to do with time lapses? You can have 100 different light modifiers, and still not make a good time-lapse. Mark
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom