Rebel XTI Probs

CannonKid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!
I've gotten myself a Canon Rebel XTI off a friend and the pics are great! The only problem i'm having is a certain error i've been getting. Now i've read the manual about the settings and modes and it doesn't seem to help me much. I'm sorry in advance if this is a noob question.

Sometimes when taking pictures i get the error:
This picture is not shootable, please turn camera off then on, or re-install the battery.

I'm wondering if this is coming up because i'm not using the right setting for the situation or something? It seems to happen quite a bit. I'll go to take a pic and it'll come up, so sometimes i'll move the dial a few times and the picture will finally take, with me standing in the exact same position and everything. Just moving the dial over 1 at a time. Does my camera need service or is there just something wrong with the battery or is it just my ignorance? If it is me just using the wrong setting for the situation ... is there somewhere i can see the criteria for each? Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated!

are you using an automatic setting or one of the manual ones. because if its automatic the camera may not take the picture unless it can get a good meter reading. i think its like auto focus in the sense that if its not in focus with af on it will keep adjusting the lens no matter how far down the button is and in mf it is not afraid to take a blurry picture.

First off thanks for the response blueangerii!

Whelp I guess it was something wrong with the camera. They told me that my lense and body were having some sort of communication error. So it's off to be fixed and i don't get it for a week or two (thank god the actual canon office is here in town). Oh well that gives me a week or two to read and learn! My favorite areas are macro photography and landscape photography. So anyone with some good lense suggestions (although i'm sure i will find more than enough answers around the forum), would be a big help! THANKS!

Tav

First off thanks for the response blueangerii!

Whelp I guess it was something wrong with the camera. They told me that my lense and body were having some sort of communication error. So it's off to be fixed and i don't get it for a week or two (thank god the actual canon office is here in town). Oh well that gives me a week or two to read and learn! My favorite areas are macro photography and landscape photography. So anyone with some good lense suggestions (although i'm sure i will find more than enough answers around the forum), would be a big help! THANKS!

Tav

canons 100mm 2.8 macro is supposed to be great.

on a budget I use the Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro lens. It isn't true 1:1, but at 300mm in macro mode it is pretty close. Problem is you NEED a tripod, and the DOF is super shallow so you need to stop down a bunch, meaning even less light. For still life it works fine, and for 200 bucks it was a pretty good deal, considering the rest of the zoom range works as well. Anyone looking for a cheap telephoto zoom I would point them in that direction.

For landscapes, how wide do you like?

Hopefully the problem with your lens is fixable by a recalibration or rechipping. I can't imagine it being much more, but you never know.

Thanks Kyle

I'm definatly going to price out that Canon 100mm 2.8. Might have to be my first lense! I should also start pricing myself out a good tripod. Wow the gear needed is piling up quickly! Also as far as landscapes i like to capture cityskylines, i'm fairly new to this game so i can't tell you too much more than that what do you mean by size? like how big i would like my images? I live in Calgary and we get some crazy sky colors i would like to capture some of that as well. As for the camera fix it's gonna set me back like 200 bux, but i'm not discouraged, actually i'm excited to get it back and be able to experiment without that annoying error popping up. It actually brings a smile to my face knowing that i'll be able to take any picture anytime in any setting! Okay maybe my excitement is going a little far heh. Also i've got one book that is really good, but do you know of like a 'beginners standard' book that everyone ought to have? I've seen a couple on here - but i got 2 weeks! Might as well brush up on some knowledge!

Tav

By how wide I mean focal length, and how wide of an angle are you looking for. for some, 18mm from the kit lens works fine (thought the kit lens produces some barrel distortion at 18mm) whereas others like sigma's 10-22mm lens for wide angles. Still, others prefer fisheye lenses.

It's all a matter of taste. Take a look at some pictures of skylines and ask questions about the ones you like.

Tav--B&H has the canon 100mm macro for $469.00 and up. Best price I have seen from a trusted seller.

Stretch - thanks for that man, I'll be hooking that up in the next 2 weeks!

Kyle - I will look at some of the skyline photos i've seen. This site has amazing photography on it! could i pm a few of the links to you on the ones that i find? Then i'd be able to get the lense best suited for me.

I'm not really on a tight budget at all. Is that lense (Canon 100mm 2.8 macro) pretty much the best lense for macro photography?

Tavis

Most reactions

New Topics

Back