I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Some shots from a recent engament shoot, what do you think?

4349-1-web.jpg

4405-1-web.jpg

4418-1-web.jpg

4445-1-web.jpg

4477-1-web.jpg

4491-1-web.jpg

A few more...

4528-1-web.jpg

4551-1-web.jpg

4561-1-web.jpg

4568-1-web.jpg

4648-1-web.jpg

OM'sO......Seems most are over saturated. #'s 2,3,4,5, appear more "normal"......Hey, what do I know!

Wow, a LOT of pics Mike.

In the first set, here is what I see specifically:

#1, For being shot in the sunlight, the light is actually quite warm, maybe just the slightest touch of glare on some parts of the skin, but its so minor. Obviously, this was done as the sun was low in the sky, as seen from the long shadows behind them. I like it.

#2, great shot.

#3, cute pose, like something out of Babes in Toyland maybe...:raisedbrow:

#4, great pose, expression, and composition.

#5, very nice. the blue and green work effectively in this one.

#6, Beautiful, very creative. But I think the background could have been blurred a bit more.

Second set:

#7, Classic old movie kiss, nice. Love the stair case in the back. The shadow is really neat too.

#8, The skin is a little bright, but great romantic pose, although she does look a little stiff and bent oddly.

#9 and #10, there seems to be a bit of an unnatural red tint/hue going on there, as well as for most of them in this set. Maybe check the white balance on those. #9 is a great pose though.

#10, the shirts and the background all look quite green together, not sure if thats a good thing. He looks a bit awkward in this one as well, and not showing his face.

#11, Love it. Very nice.

As you know, Im no expert, just picking up things that I learn over time, and noticing certain things.

Overall, great IMO. Well done Mike!

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

I did jack the saturation for a lot of these...maybe it's just a phase I'm going though but I tend to like a lot of saturation right now.

These were shot late in the day and the sunlight was somewhat warm at times and hidden behind clouds at other times. I like the warm light and played with the WB quite a bit (in post). Looking at them all together...they look pretty inconsistent...but looking back and remembering the light at the time...that's pretty much how it was over the course of the shoot.

I like lots of saturation right now too. lol. Something about making the grass really green and the sky really blue that the clients love and so do I. Something about it makes it look a tab bit artsy.

7 is definately my favorite and think it would look even better in black and white.

#5 looks fake to me for some reason, like you photoshopped them in. I think maybe not enough natural looking shadows or the angle. I'm not sure.

and I want to tell the guy in the fontain to get out of the shot in #3. Great pic other than that lol.

Good composition!

I think your clients will be very happen.

Thanks.
#5 looks fake to me for some reason, like you photoshopped them in. I think maybe not enough natural looking shadows or the angle. I'm not sure.
It does look like the have been inserted doesn't it? It is real, I asure you, maybe just a bit too much fill flash. I did however, mask off the sky and bring down the exposure there, in order to bring back some of the color & definition which had been washed out.

Well, aren't they cute? LOL Very nice, I'm sure they are very happy. The only suggestion I can think of if you're looking for one is that some of the time they are in the center of the shot and, while that works for some a couple seem to not benefit from that. ;) Thanks for sharing your shoot. :)

Very nice I like the last few the best I guess the light got better as you shot.

Hate the shoes they are wearing for portraits...but overall nice shots! :)

I think I feel old... when you start saying "the kids look so young" you know you are well on your way to geezerhood.

I know, not the feedback you were looking for, but that's what I was thinking...

Hate the shoes they are wearing for portraits...but overall nice shots!
Thanks. The sandals made it easy for them to jump into the fountain/pool...and actually, it's extremely popular for people around here to were something like that in a causal setting. To me, it might have looked weird if they had been wearing something else.

I like the second quite a bit, but I'm seeing it as a 3/4 sort of portrait.... cropped just below his right hand.
Thanks Pete. I really like that shot too but I'm not pleased with how their legs & feet look. I do like the grass and the flowers, so I kept the feet in. I'll try a closer crop when I present them tonight.

Love the pictures.. I would have had the couple take their shoes off... I love barefoot shots... Dont get me wrong I would have kept the shoes on for the fountain shots... But what do I know...

Love the saturation.. The colors are great...

My favs are : 3,6,7,9

Hey Mike- I love that you shoot such a variety of shots. Great for your clients. I actually like the last three pictures the best. The earlier shots have wonderful backdrops, BUT their facial expressions and body positions seem unnatural. In the last three photos their expressions are so natural and genuine. There love comes across in those photos. Thanks so much for sharing your work!

Most reactions

Back