Recent freebie family shoot

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a family shoot for my God-daughter (the baby) and her family the other night. I'm not really happy with these but I'm not sure if it's just lousy photography or if it was the wardrobe that turns me off. They didn't ask what they should wear, but I think the outfits were too distracting and really takes your eye off the focus. I thought I'd post them to get some reaction. I can take it if you say they suck. If that's the opinion, be honest about it. I chose to vignette the ones w/ white background b/c I don't have a BG light yet and I can't get a white BG to look white. I can "fix it" in PS, but haven't had the time yet.

IMGP7195-web.jpg

IMGP7208web.jpg

IMGP7250-web.jpg

IMGP7257-web.jpg

My daughter then decided she wanted to have her picture made which is rare event these days, so I took full opportunity of that.

Slouchy yes, but I like the expression
IMGP7266web.jpg

Her pouty look - priceless
IMGP7270-5x7web.jpg

and Miss Attitude
IMGP7275web.jpg

C/C are appreciated.

The family's big girl looks best in the photo of only just her in that beautiful dress of hers, for there she's finally sitting up and sitting straight, and for that same reason your daughter looks best in the "Mrs Attitude" photo.

The family photo suffers quite a bit from the girl and her mother not sitting up and sitting straight, I think. That - but keep in mind I'm no pro studio photographer, but only just me - gives the entire photo an aspect of "sloppiness" (if that's an English word at all????).

The butterfly blouses are a bit strong, too... but apparently all the female members of the family were determined to wear that self-same outfit. But you are right ... their brightness is a tad distracting.

The bigger members of the family were not relaxed. The only one who looks happy and relaxed is your god-daughter. She looks really cute! Her bigger sister became visibly self-conscious about having her photo taken... smile and hands show that she was kind of stressed by the session. And mommy should have seen to that chipped nail polish before they came to you...

I appreciate the thoughts and feedback Corinna. If I only had a quarter for every time I tried to correct posture during this shoot, I'd be a rich man. I agree with the sloppiness comment as well. I also very much agree with the self consciousness of the older daughter. I don't think I got a genuine smile from her in the entire session until she and my daughter were chasing the dog around. Oh well. Any other comments/critique?

I like the ones on the black background. For the family shot the only suggestion I would make is to have Dad on the other stool and the daughter standing up on something behind them (in the middle) it would break up the ugly shirts more and then you also wouldn't see the stool because Dad would be big enough to cover it. Then seat baby in the middle between Mom and Dad. I would crop in a little closer too.

I like the last 3 shots. The pouty look and Miss Attitude are my favorite.

Most reactions

Back