Recent Portrait Stuffs

jdunphy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
jacobdunphy.com
Here are a few people shots from the last couple weeks. Feedback is very welcome! :)

No touch-ups on these, just levels.

2007_02_08_01.jpg

jill1.jpg

2007_02_28_01.jpg

2007_02_28_02.jpg

those are beautiful! I love them.

Very nice! I love the second one the color and clarity are amazing!

I like the 3rd one best. The lighting is really good. Was that taken with window light? It looks very natural.

1st one rocks! but i like them all very nice! wish i was getting fotos that nice... still working on it!

Great clarity and shaprness on thses...and this is without any shaprening you say?

I especially like the lighting in #3

I like the lighting in all except #3... but i seem to be the only one... I feel that the lighting draws me to her mouth thats low in the frame but feel the eyes are supposed to be the drawing point...
thats just me though. nice work on the others!

Wow. Thanks for the comments, everybody!

NYBrit: Actually, that one was using my homemade softbox. It's over a meter tall and wide, so it really gives a window effect.

wclement: thanks! Keep shooting! I've only been at this for about 1.5 years. :)

Big Mike: Well. I always sharpen when I downsize shots, but nothing more than what gets them back to looking like the large size.

df3photo: I actually feel the same way about that shot. I'm glad you mentioned that. It was the first time I'd taken pictures of a woman when she had any sort of bangs. They kept throwing shadows on her face at unexpected times! I learned something!

brighteyes: Well. I used a different setup for each shot. Some of these are about 2 weeks old, but I'll try and create a quick summary for each.

1. Camera left: sb-800 into a 32" umbrella. About 5-6 feet away and about level with my head. (that's me in the picture) On far camera right, behind the subject is an Sb-600 fired wirelessly. No diffusion on that one. I really enjoy experimenting with soft/hard light combinations.

2. This one was taken using a big window, but I hung the light panel of my homemade softbox in the window. It has removable legs. So I got to diffuse the big lightsource in the sky. To the right of subject my wife, pictured in 3 and 4, held a 2x3' piece of foamcore as a reflector for fill light.

3. Big softbox on camera left. Subject holding reflector to camera right. Tadaa! The softbox was about level with her, and angled slightly toward the ground. I made a rigging system for the thing, so I can adjust the angle of it using a piece of paracord tied to my stands. :D

4. Softbox light on camera left. I put her up against the wall to get that nice diffused shadow into the shot. I tried to use the shadow as a compositional element in this shot. Usually I run and hide from shadows in the ground!

Most reactions

Back