recent protest

Like 2 and 5.
Protesters in B&W, Reminds me of the 1960s.

Bill

WHY they bring a young boy into the protest! Does he know what protest is ???
Joh, I do not think it is suitable to put these political sensitive pictures in this academic photography forum~~~well, that is your privilege right , If you like,I have nothing to say~~ you can keep it~

We call it freedom of speech in a free country, it's everyone's right. If you don't agree with their words, you have a right to say so, but at least respect them., and Jon has the right to post these pictures as much as you have the right to post yours.

If you are unhappy with these people, so be it., I personally don't agree with what many people are doing in this world., but I can't control what they are doing, so I can only do the best I can to be a respectable citizen.

I wish you all the best Shan, but I don't think you can tell someone what they can or cannot post in here. You have expressed your dis-satisfaction for the protestors words, np there, but allow us as photographers to have some freedom.

Shan said:
:irked: :irked: :irked: Jon,I am not sure you know the meaning of the words or not~~~but i am really hate what the people said in the pic!!! That's not true !!!
every political party has done some good things or bed things toghter, not only chinese political party~~~I can not garentee all things the chinese government did is totally very good or right ~~~BUT the most of the Chinese people's life improved a lot in recent 20 years~~80% people happy and agree with most of the governement decisions including improve the income of the farmers by decresing the taxes and fees of them. ( from authority Journal,I forgot the name of it )If you do not believe what i said ,you can come to China and have a look,especially in 2008.
although Chinese government has a lot of things to do , BUT the new government is much better than before~~~~

this was in no way an attempt to state a political position, i was simply taking pictures...it's what i do when i'm not otherwise involved in my work or family...hope you liked my photographic b&w conversions of people attending a public rally in my hometown.

but, since you brought it up; "falun gong" (im sure you're familar with this) practitioners, with their methods of peaceful rallies, have put the words "human rights" into practice for chinese people. their actions inspire not only the chinese people but also anyone who believes in universal values such as justice and democracy. it has taken some western countries hundreds of years to substantiate the meaning of human rights and democracy, yet falun gong practitioners are doing the same in china at this very moment while at the same time validating the principles of truth, compassion, and tolerance. however, in their efforts, they are being imprisoned, and treated in ways i won't go into. i guess these people are just PISSED OFF and wanted to protest what they feel/know is happening in their homeland. i will be more than happy to continue this conversation in a private email.

AIRIC said:
Excellent series Jon and please do not take it down. This is what photography is all about. Telling a story.

Eric

i have absolutely no intention of removing it. i can understand Shan being upset; especially if he is opposed to what the sign says. my God, if i were to take the time to address everything i witness in a day that i'm opposed to......well......i think you get the jest........

whew, i guess it's a good thing i didn't post everything i shot :scratch:

i had a gut feeling this was gonna go south eventually....i was hoping to the contrary.

JonMikal said:
this was in no way an attempt to state a political position, i was simply taking pictures...it's what i do when i'm not otherwise involved in my work or family...hope you liked my photographic b&w conversions of people attending a public rally in my hometown.

but, since you brought it up; "falun gong" (im sure you're familar with this) practitioners, with their methods of peaceful rallies, have put the words "human rights" into practice for chinese people. their actions inspire not only the chinese people but also anyone who believes in universal values such as justice and democracy. it has taken some western countries hundreds of years to substantiate the meaning of human rights and democracy, yet falun gong practitioners are doing the same in china at this very moment while at the same time validating the principles of truth, compassion, and tolerance. however, in their efforts, they are being imprisoned, and treated in ways i won't go into. i guess these people are just PISSED OFF and wanted to protest what they feel/know is happening in their homeland. i will be more than happy to continue this conversation in a private email.

Joh, I understand what you mean about human rights and I also agree with that everybody has a freedom of speech including those people in the pictures. I also understand that you were just taking pictures and recording this event~~~~Yep, I know China is not a totally freedom of speach country, there a lot of things that people can not express their feeling freely. As i said ,posting these pictures is your right,If you want,I do not have any opinion.BUT as i said so,I just do not agree with those words in the pic~~Chinese political party is not totally bad~~~also Politics is too complex to me,I do not like it.
That is only my opinion~~~~

anyway,great shots~~

Raymond J Barlow said:
We call it freedom of speech in a free country, it's everyone's right. If you don't agree with their words, you have a right to say so, but at least respect them., and Jon has the right to post these pictures as much as you have the right to post yours.

If you are unhappy with these people, so be it., I personally don't agree with what many people are doing in this world., but I can't control what they are doing, so I can only do the best I can to be a respectable citizen.

I wish you all the best Shan, but I don't think you can tell someone what they can or cannot post in here. You have expressed your dis-satisfaction for the protestors words, np there, but allow us as photographers to have some freedom.

I understand what do you mean about human rights,I have been in NZ for nearly four years,I know everybody has freedom of speech.I also agree with that Joh as a photographer record this event. As i said ,If Joh likes, I have not any opinion on it, just keep it.

I just thought it may not be a good idea to post this kind of political sencitive pictures in the acadamic photography forum.It may causes some unnecessary things like my angry happening. whatever, that's joh's freedom.

MY FREEDOM OF SPEECH HAS BEEN REVOKED!!! :taped sh: My husband informed me that I may not comment on this thread... therefore, all I can say is "nice conversion." :roll:

JonMikal said:
i have absolutely no intention of removing it. i can understand Shan being upset; especially if he is opposed to what the sign says. my God, if i were to take the time to address everything i witness in a day that i'm opposed to......well......i think you get the jest........

whew, i guess it's a good thing i didn't post everything i shot :scratch:

i had a gut feeling this was gonna go south eventually....i was hoping to the contrary.

Joh,I think you make a big mistake~~~~Did i tell you I am a girl????
I am 21 years old. :mrgreen: may be younger than your daughter~~
WHY do you think i am a boy ????

Shows how much I've been paying attention tonight.

I have a few things to say here... Nice pictures, Jon, of a protest in DC. I think you really captured the emotion of the event, like always. Good work.

Second, Let's drop the political debate of these pictures now before this thread is locked. If anyone would like to continue having their private conversation, please do so in the Private messaging system as JonMikal has already suggested. This is a public forum for anyone to share their pictures of the world they see and if you are offended by what is placed here, please refrain from turning it into a public spitting match.

Thanks and good Pictures Jon.

Shan, thanks for telling us - I had also thought you were a boy ... erm ... can't explain why. Must be because my knowlege of Chinese is about non-existent. In fact: it IS non-existent.
Which is why I can only look at these photos in the very academic way that you are referring to in your critique of their content - or rather even just your critique of the text on the poster.
What I see, and what most of us see here, is the photographic capture of an event where there are many interesting PEOPLE and their faces to be seen - or not to be seen, which is the point in the one photo in which YOU can read the sign so well.
I, for one, can't.
Therefore I look at the photos as photos. "Academically", if you so please.
Which is why this thread is a lot less political for most of us here than it is for you who you can read what is written.
Since this is the given facts, I don't think there NEEDS to be any political discussion over these photos here at all.

:p
LaFoto said:
Shan, thanks for telling us - I had also thought you were a boy ... erm ... can't explain why. Must be because my knowlege of Chinese is about non-existent. In fact: it IS non-existent.
Which is why I can only look at these photos in the very academic way that you are referring to in your critique of their content - or rather even just your critique of the text on the poster.
What I see, and what most of us see here, is the photographic capture of an event where there are many interesting PEOPLE and their faces to be seen - or not to be seen, which is the point in the one photo in which YOU can read the sign so well.
I, for one, can't.
Therefore I look at the photos as photos. "Academically", if you so please.
Which is why this thread is a lot less political for most of us here than it is for you who you can read what is written.
Since this is the given facts, I don't think there NEEDS to be any political discussion over these photos here at all.

I just thought it may not be a good idea to post this kind of political sencitive pictures in the acadamic photography forum.It may causes some unnecessary things like my angry happening. whatever, that's joh's freedom.
I think Jon just posted them to show us what's going on around him in case we were interested. And to make us jealous of his immense talent, the git. :grumpy: So please don't take offence to the content of the images, but instead try to look at them from an artistic point of view. :) But feel free to hate him becuase he's better than you. That's what I do anyway. :mrgreen:

So Jon, when will you be holding the next "be like Jon" class? I wanna sign up. :(

ferny said:
I think Jon just posted them to show us what's going on around him in case we were interested. And to make us jealous of his immense talent, the git. :grumpy: So please don't take offence to the content of the images, but instead try to look at them from an artistic point of view. :) But feel free to hate him becuase he's better than you. That's what I do anyway. :mrgreen:

So Jon, when will you be holding the next "be like Jon" class? I wanna sign up. :(

I can not negate that Joh is really a good and talent photographer. When I first come here and saw his two photos (one is a sun set and another one is "somedays wold is in your hand"), I finally decided to live here for the long term and improve my photography skills here.

Also ,those pictures are really good works like Joh's always though The word " THE COMMUNIST PARTY is totally full of EVIL" in the first pic makes me very angry. BUT I still understand how to seperate the politics from arts~~~that's what I learned form the four years life in NZ.

I know i am much younger than most of you, some of my ideas are childish~~but I am still try to view things like an adult. :cheers:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back