Recently given a camera, would like to start a new hobby. Few questions.

DrewSC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, first post!

I was recently given a Sony slt-a33 with two different lenses. I know absolutely nothing about photography but went out today and had a blast. I'm a little overwhelmed with all the buttons so just put it on auto and shot away.

My main question is about the camera. Is it a good one for beginners? Any tips for this particular model? Any info about it would be great.

Apart from that I'm searching the web to learn more about the hobby. This forum seems like a great place. I am really enjoying the Cambridge website as it's helping me learn.

That's all for now. Thanks!

Yes.
If you got the manual read it (otherwise download it and read it).
I suggest just shoot away.
I had the SLT-A55 which is very similar, and I cannot think of much to add right now until you get used to the camera ... and about photography in general.

Note: if you have set your camera to capture in RAW only then many of the options will be disabled.

What lenses did you get with it ?

Oh, one tip that I just remembered ... if you get into shooting a lot, have more than one battery.

Be aware that you are dealing with a camera that has a EVF (electronic view finder) which is not used with Nikon or Canon DSLR's ... the viewfinder will try to reflect what will appear in the actually image captured by the sensor ... camera's with OVF (optical view finder) will display it only on the LCD panel with live view.

One lense is 18-55mm and the other is 55-200mm. Not exactly sure when to use which at this time but will learn!

I learned a ton from this forum and just rejoined recently after being away for a few years. Just ask questions and experiment. Also it's probably easier at this point to focus on learning how to use the camera than focusing on how to make an artistic photo so I'd recommend starting there until you get to the point where you're in a certain situation and can quickly think "I want XYZ type of shot so I need these settings.".

My main question is about the camera. Is it a good one for beginners? Any tips for this particular model? Any info about it would be great.
I'd say nearly any camera is good for beginners. Do a search for reviews for that particular model.

As for tips; read the user's manual, then read it again while fiddling with the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back